Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Client SCREEN-MODE!
Hello there everybody, thought I'd confront an obvious recent Issue regarding Client's inate current lack of ability to run in an actual Screen-Mode. #1 Dev. will know (or should!) what I'm talking about! (Jeff!? Not these Amatures!)

Basically I'm saying that the setup for the client allows you to choose either a Window'ed Mode (running on the windows desktop), or, what used to be, and should still be (!), a Screen-Mode! But at the moment, the current "Full Screen" option is ONLY that, "Full-Screen WINDOWED!", which is terrible performance wize, for a slower system, or even a more modern one.

Allow me to go into some more detailed explanation of what's happening, and what should be happening:-

Running Client in a Window is great if you want to not just play the game, but easily do other things with your pc at the same time, like browse the Wiki etc etc.

The only problem with that is that the majority of processing power is devoted to rendering windows desktop and all the other things windows is doing, not only that, windows itself is NOT able to Double-Buffer, regardless of weather you Synch the Raster or not! This means 'wavy-framing' or 'ghosting' etc. And the main problem with running on the desktop is that the overall frame-rate of the game is latent, and dependant on the free time of the cpu as a lack of priority.

What we need is for SS Client to actually run in a Proper Screen-MODE (according to the resolutions capable of your graphics system!) Why? you might ask, well there are a few reasons:-

When you run an application in a proper actual screen mode, window's desktop core actually shuts down ALL rendering opperations related to the desktop and the applications running on it, as well as totally free's up the graphics system for proper Double-Buffering capable Raster-Refresh (and hold method) framing. Also you get sum and total priority for the application/game as well, meaning fuller fresher and faster framing!

It's a fundamental principle that needs to be re-applied to Star-Sonata's client; SCREEN MODE! Then the game could potentially frame properly(!!!) and ofcourse, for people like me with older sytems, we'll experience much much more devoted processing and gpu power to the task of smooth game play, and more time-share to the net throughput of our modems!

So please, Jeff or Jey, only you two are capable of this proper programming technique; Implement "Actual Screen-Mode" to the "Full Screen" option (or add it as a third!!) so that we can experience proper gaming framing performance... and so older machine users can enjoy the game once more.

There are other related issues to the game not running in a true mode, and that's evident with loading times etc, because as I elluded to above, even using the v-wait technique to allow windows some time to evenly time-share, the amount of processing devoted to actuall loading is significantly reduced... blah blah.

eg. My P4 now takes more than 30 mins just to load the textures etc (that DS loading screen), when before, with Beta-Client, it was only 1/2 as quick as my Pentium-D! Terrible. Some real machine-code'ing prowess would be much appreciated, thanks folks!

There! That's all the Work I can put in for SS-Client with my old Programmers-Eye this time, I hope its appreciated, and helps keep Client up with the rest of the mmo competition! Dont say I dont care! Cheers!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:09 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: Client SCREEN-MODE!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

ELITE wrote:

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Looked too annoying. I didn't read any of that.

Dude, everyone is asking you to stop doing that colour spam. No one will read your post until you stop this.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 am

kanescreed wrote:
ELITE wrote:

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:59 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I did read it. No clue if any of it is true since I havent programmed a single thing in my entire life, but I did read it!

Just a tip for everyone: dont read it. Its directed at Jeff / Jey and there's nothing valuable for you in this post anyway.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:30 am

ELITE wrote:
kanescreed wrote:
ELITE wrote:

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:02 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

lazerus wrote:
There! That's all the Work I can put in for SS-Client with my old Programmers-Eye this time, I hope its appreciated, and helps keep Client up with the rest of the mmo competition! Dont say I dont care! Cheers!

you call that work?

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:26 pm
Profile WWW

ELITE wrote:
kanescreed wrote:
ELITE wrote:

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm
Main: Skirmish
Level: 5189

sabre198 wrote:
lazerus wrote:

you call that work?

Laz am busy programming colors into a text only version of the game known as "forum" client. Much Work.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm

ELITE wrote:
kanescreed wrote:
ELITE wrote:

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:18 pm

ELITE wrote:
kanescreed wrote:
ELITE wrote:

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:57 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]