Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Kinetic
Level: 4707

Post Re: Weekly Dev Notes - 22nd April
andezrhode2a wrote:
anilv wrote:
Pretty rich seeing Thermal getting hot and bothered about "exploiting" when he had something like 120k SUSTAINED prom from a bugged ferm roid source, a few unis back.

The moment the potential outcome of that source was known, I contacted Jeff_L. He did not see it as a bug, and actually said it was going to stay that way. I even questioned this, and asked other administrators for their input, and they said the same. If it is intentional, but rare, then it isn't actively taking advantage of an obvious issue that needs to be fixed. I have still to see any similar administrator statement come around for any of these issues.

WTF is wrong with them is that some other way to say cba?

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:14 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Obviously this is much more a problem of enforcement policies than of player behavior. For example, in the case of the Fermium source I don't know whether Jeff was simply unaware of how aberrant 120k sustained Prom is, or if he simply doesn't have anyone on staff who has time to fix obvious issues like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of both, and if you had said to him "I found a Fermium source that will earn me 3-4 Trillion this uni" I think he would have reacted differently. Again in the case of Ares warriors, the mechanic was clearly documented two unis ago and yet never addressed until now.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 pm
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

I did tell him how much I was estimating it to be worth in terms of income. The same I told the other administrators. The reaction, was the same as I explained earlier. I guess I can add, I was extremely surprised myself. But then again, it seems to me that the typical skilled high-end players have a better grasp on how extreme some things are, compared to an administrator.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:44 pm
over 9000!

andezrhode2a wrote:
But then again, it seems to me that the typical skilled high-end players have a better grasp on how extreme some things are, compared to an administrator.

Very true. Doesn't undermine my previous point that the recent litany of questionable player practices has very much to do with administration non-action even after said practices have been reported. I guess it doesn't help that Bageese quit at the end of last summer.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:46 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

andezrhode2a wrote:
I did tell him how much I was estimating it to be worth in terms of income. The same I told the other administrators. The reaction, was the same as I explained earlier. I guess I can add, I was extremely surprised myself. But then again, it seems to me that the typical skilled high-end players have a better grasp on how extreme some things are, compared to an administrator.

I can relate. I brought this Warrior farming the the admins more than once in the past few months, none seemed to see why gaining this many augs in a night was a problem. Maybe we should have said high-end players on some sort of dev-council in order to keep the game accountable and prevent exploits like this from getting so far out of hand.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:47 pm
over 9000!

I remember a few years ago there was a concerted outcry about wildly flawed game balance (centering around Hermes Caduceus and a few other new items at the time) and the result was the formation of such a council of players who would have some kind of communication path to the dev team. It was me, goett, and a few other people I no longer remember. We achieved basically nothing because there was no structure in place to support us and the entire thing had no clear mission to begin with.

As far as I can see, the only way to make such a thing work is if you have devs whose specific job is to interface with the council of players. But then those devs might as well just fix the issues themselves. Either way, there is obviously no manpower available on the dev team for either.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:02 pm

anilv wrote:
It was me, goett, and a few other people I no longer remember.

The Community Team, led by Bageese in her early days as the Community Manager. The representatives were Dark Phantom, goett, you and me. And you nailed the outcome of that.

There are however some examples of semi-successful communication between representatives of the player base and the developers:

http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/P ... eeting_1.0
http://wiki2.starsonata.com/index.php/P ... eeting_2.0

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:00 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

ELITE wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't pulling 500b+ a uni off your colos that did it?

Feature, not a bug.

anilv wrote:
Pretty rich seeing Thermal getting hot and bothered about "exploiting" when he had something like 120k SUSTAINED prom from a bugged ferm roid source, a few unis back.

Feature, not a bug.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

That second one is questionable to be honest..... Why should anyone be allowed to make 3-4 tril in one uni while it would take someone with the same amount of accounts about 10 unis to pull that off

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:41 am
Main: Skirmish
Level: 5189

anilv wrote:
Obviously this is much more a problem of enforcement policies than of player behavior. For example, in the case of the Fermium source I don't know whether Jeff was simply unaware of how aberrant 120k sustained Prom is, or if he simply doesn't have anyone on staff who has time to fix obvious issues like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of both, and if you had said to him "I found a Fermium source that will earn me 3-4 Trillion this uni" I think he would have reacted differently. Again in the case of Ares warriors, the mechanic was clearly documented two unis ago and yet never addressed until now.

It's an interesting theory. I'm sure someone in a respectable position such as yourself wouldn't seriously be suggesting that exploiting a documented bug to dump trillions into the economy or otherwise advance isn't an exploit based solely on the fact that it's documented. Lets take a look at the situations.

Reported to admins by those profiting from the situation:
Anatolia - No
Ares Warriors - No
Fermium Asteroids - Yes, multiple

Fix Planned / Implemented:
Anatolia - Yes
Ares Warriors - Yes
Fermium Asteroids - No

Profit obtained via a well established and accepted* game mechanic:
Anatolia - No
Ares Warriors - No
Fermium Asteroids - Yes

*By devs / admins

At the risk of sounding like an after-school special, I think we all know who really camped ares for trills then wiped SP. Their relative population stop you exploiting the Anatolia bug?

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am

heylo wrote:
That second one is questionable to be honest..... Why should anyone be allowed to make 3-4 tril in one uni while it would take someone with the same amount of accounts about 10 unis to pull that off

It is without a doubt questionable - I have questioned it every day since! It seems like one of those galaxy generation bugs where you either get super-compressed asteroid fields (of which very few include fermium), or even those super-compressed clusterfuck solar systems. Those without moons. Both of them strike me as bugs, and I find it hard to believe that they were intended.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:52 am
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

andezrhode2a wrote:
heylo wrote:

It is without a doubt questionable - I have questioned it every day since! It seems like one of those galaxy generation bugs where you either get super-compressed asteroid fields (of which very few include fermium), or even those super-compressed clusterfuck solar systems. Those without moons. Both of them strike me as bugs, and I find it hard to believe that they were intended.

its SS, everything is intended as a bug

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:54 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Skirmish wrote:
At the risk of sounding like an after-school special, I think we all know who really camped ares for trills then wiped SP. Their relative population stop you exploiting the Anatolia bug?

I hope for your sake this is sarcasm

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:59 am

Without paying too much attention to your brilliant plot twist, I can only grab the chance and post a pun.

lordjeroen wrote:
everything is intended

The Pun Guy wrote:
Were you intended?!??!

:lol:

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

heylo wrote:
Skirmish wrote:

I hope for your sake this is sarcasm

Speculations, speculations everywhere!

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next