Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Brugle
Level: 4111

Post Re: Basing: skill ceiling and introduction to new players
anilv wrote:
Going off the lifetime of the account can also be circumvented by simply creating a new account and "twinking" it.

Sorry, forgot there is an F2P option in this game :-) Was thinking the subscription would stop people from creating extra accounts, just for low level BvB fighting.

anilv wrote:
What do you mean by incentives limit?

With Incentive limit I was thinking to implement something that gives incentive to a new player but not at all to the experienced player. F.ex. a ship with inbuilt high energy regen that can't be used as a trade slave [My highest frustration as a low lever player]? But then again the incentive for an experienced player is probably to rule the BvB zone.

anilv wrote:
I think you're missing one, which would be basically a financial incentive/disincentive. Like yclepticon said they did make it more expensive to attack people now that you have to BvB (except when the galaxy is quite weak).

I'm not sure I followed your logic here in the setting of a BvB zone? Expensive for an experienced player and not for a new player?

Also the incentive for all players should probably not be items, since the incentive will thus not last very long. Has to be some junkyard token/currency/bindo/dem/... reward?

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:37 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

Stop trying to protect lower level players from being attacked by higher level players, and start giving them the tools to actually defend themselves!

1. Simplify the PvP system. Make it an all or nothing system.
2. Explain the basics of things like augmenters better. Something as simple as a fucking tier system to indicate rarity would work wonders. If players see that certain augs are more rare than others, that may get them to start thinking about whether or not that augmenter is more powerful.
3. Allow people to see the stats of the item on a blueprint. (This one's probably going to get disagreed with, but I've never seen a game where you didn't know what the fuck you were building before you built it.) Why is this needed? Because then you can make informed decisions without feeling like you were screwed over by the game!
4. Create a better introduction to junkyard kits, XYZ gear and bases in general. Create a better introduction to colonies and production. So, do any of you remember the intro where the game had you selling Microchips and Silicon back and forth? Have a player setup 2 bases ferrying Nuclear Waste and Space Oats back and forth on two different planets. Guide them to doing it through the current system. Explain that doing things like that creates a chain that helps to make their own little empire stronger. Be more HELPFUL. It doesn't need to be a tutorial or a guide outside of the game, it can literally be one of the first things the player experiences within the nexus!

After those four things are done, implement a looking for group system.

/endunpopularsuggestions

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

The only times in other games where you dont know exactly what you get from crafting follow the wow system of main stat/hp stat/ then you like 2 of stats like haste, critical strike, etc. Its random but its unlikely to be a total blank for you. Building stuff in ss is an extreme risk.

Overall i think that new to wild space players DO have the means to adequately defend themselves, but they lack either knowledge(aug/gear setups), access(station kits of t18 and higher, bps above andaman(all dg drops), or the funds to buy or make good stuff, dem/ada/gear multiple sets of good dampeners. Fixing these issues should be the first step

On stations i do think that dem/ada station are just too good compared to normal stations. Most new player wont be able to afford the multiple ada/dem kits needed. Ada sheets especially are very expensive, in order to make them your looking at a 30-40b investment of value. Lessening the amount of diplomas needed to gain access to stabilising fusion cores would help, as would expanding the means to get unstabilised cores.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:02 pm
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: CLXXXIII
Level: 6059

Remove Baseslots...

Make a team based system where everybody after every unireset in a team has to farm "baseslots" by doing missions converting useless gear into tokens doing speacial missions, research facilitys and other stuff that forces people in a team to work together. Reward runs with tokens and high content like ppspace.

Try to make the uni start longer and not like a climax where people can have 100 galaxys owned in less than 20 min. Make it like a chess game where borders grow slowly and it matters that people are acually online and have to play.

All tokens get deleted every uni end so everybody has to start from the begining.

Give Teams power and activity should matter. Change it that you have to do actually something and not just Sub the most accounts in the server to be able to own space.

Last edited by CLXXXIII on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:45 pm
Team: Aidelon
Main: xXAlienXx
Level: 1322

MasterTrader wrote:
Stop trying to protect lower level players from being attacked by higher level players, and start giving them the tools to actually defend themselves!

I also don't agree with the idea of expanding the non-pvp buildable areas because of two reasons:

1. It will not help new players build better defences when it comes to actual threats.

2. It will probably only benefit the person that stays up during the uni reset to drop there kits on the planet that is the most profitable.

Yes, by expanding non-pvp buildable areas, we do create a bigger safty net for our new players; the idea of being able to build without the treat of it being trampled on seems to sell to a lot of players in general, regardless of what you are actually building.

However, what we are trying to implement from my understanding is a way to show new players an efficient way to prepare galactic defences for the worst case scenario.

My suggestion for how we could go about this would be to improve the black box system to actually show in greater detail how a player's base has been destroyed, along with how it performed during the time it was under siege.

I will leave the rest up to the imagination for what these details would actually show, for there are many building experts out there that understand the exact details that plays a major part into a bases downfall.

My reason for this idea is the fact that this game is still a sandbox mmorpg that has been around for atleast a decade. People before us have been in a position where they build for the first time in a pvp zone to the best of there ability just to find out that there stuff has been deleted by Mr. Hardcore the next day. However, a good number of them said "wow, i wonder what i could have done better" and actually did research so that it would be harder for Mr. Hardcore to go about destroying there stuff again.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:48 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4888

I'm trying to explain, the content is already in game. There are things ingame that can make it so a newer team won't get completely roflstomped by another team unless that team devote serious resources to it. To be totally honest, the problem with this game is entirely knowledge based. There are TONS of augs/items/gear that people at the top end don't use because its not THE strongest. For a lower level team, its strong enough. But because they can't SEE the stats on things, and because higher level players think they are shit, they never even try to do it. There's too much hidden information that you have NO idea exists. And even if you find it, its hidden behind the Blueprint/Mission wall and you have to pray that someone put the info on the wiki (Which BREAKS immersion, as enkelin wonderfully pointed out earlier).

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:55 pm
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Seems I'm here a little bit late, but here's something that obviously caught my eye.
lrellok wrote:
Considering the only base building guides where written before junkyard even existed, that is actually a major problem. 1 junk hydro can feed about 250 workers, enough for a basic mining station. Proddy (missiles) will need to junky hydro. And yes, junkyard hydro are available for 3 scrap-notes which can be gotten (if no other way) by buying about 30-45 million in equipment (current price of 3 Jetflood, Biowall, or Deadstop). So yes, that would be VERY GOOD INFORMATION TO PUT IN THE WIKI.

Maybe its time someone work on the wiki? HINT HINT

I'm sorry, but I work on the wiki, and I have tried to work on base gear and items, and some time during this uni I did actually add the Hydroponics and it's Junkyard variants to the Base Items page. I've also redone the Shields and Energies section on the Base Gear page and I'm hoping to do the rest soon (weapons may take a while). As for a guide to the Junkyard, I don't think it's extremely needed because looking at the Junkyard gear currently on the wiki, you can see their purpose and where to obtain it, from Junkyard you can figure out how to obtain a scrapnote (especially because there is an ingame tutorial at Junkyard for how to use the place, and that by then they've seen items that say 'scrappable for X junkyard notes').

Do you know how much needs to be done on the wiki? Because it's a lot more than you imagine. And it's not easy trying to put info like Hydroponics' info in a sensible way that is clear to a new player, when there is no table to begin with for me to simply put info into.

lrellok wrote:
Maybe its time someone work on the wiki? HINT HINT

Here's part of my forum signature, it should be more than sufficient to show you that the wiki is being worked on.
Personal Wiki Contributions - Monthly Wiki Contributions

And before I go, I do want to point out, there is a base calc made by Danger, which could help a new player see the stats of their bases and see how they can improve. I also do think that crowding in EF space could be solved by rebuffing Termites, and this would also mean that endgame players in WS can't just sit there for an entire uni with no effort required making billions upon billions by the hour. Solve two issues with one change?

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:30 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

SunDog60 wrote:
some time during this uni I did actually add the Hydroponics and it's Junkyard variants to the Base Items page.

/me Glomp hugs sundog

TYTYTYTYTYTY!!!!!

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:10 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Those MRE numbers are a bit off. One MRE feeds 500 workers if given enough oats, so the correct numbers would be:

rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:12 pm
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

anilv wrote:
Those MRE numbers are a bit off. One MRE feeds 500 workers if given enough oats, so the correct numbers would be:

Ah, thanks, I didn't really have anyone to ask to help me out and I don't know too much hydro math.
(and people always say to use way more MRE's than hydros... seems like I was right afterall! Just with slightly wrong math.)

Last edited by SunDog60 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

SunDog60 wrote:
anilv wrote:

Ah, thanks, I didn't really have anyone to ask to help me out and I don't know too much hydro math.
(and people always say to use way more MRE's than hydros... seems like I was right afterall! Just with slightly wrong math.

No problem. For ease of use it'll probably be best if you state these figures in terms of ratios. 3 MRE per 5 Hydro and so on.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:51 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

For the comments saying "the game should teach you how to play it" I absolutely agree. More detailed base stats would be a great addition, and I'd welcome any suggestions on specifics as to what should be in there that isn't currently visible (I believe all you can get hard numbers on atm is shield/energy bank and regen?). I've been thinking we should some fillers to the inventory lists for ships when crucial items aren't equiped (e.g. there would be an line saying "(Empty Overloader Slot)" when no OL is equipped) and that seems like it could be helpful for bases as well for the very new guys, I'd be curious on feedback on that.

I've had an idea floating around recently that I never fully realized and that is ai base purchasable kits with bps for basebound gear similar to the xyz gear but builds faster and in more complete sets (including all essential gear groups such as OL, damps and augs) with around 80% of the effectiveness of normal kits and gear. The goal being that new base builders could be directed to these kits and for minimal investment build a base with all the essentials and serve as a frame of reference for their custom base building in the future. I'd be very interested in feedback on this from all of you on this to see if it needs to be developed further.

urzaserra256 wrote:
On stations i do think that dem/ada station are just too good compared to normal stations. Most new player wont be able to afford the multiple ada/dem kits needed. Ada sheets especially are very expensive, in order to make them your looking at a 30-40b investment of value. Lessening the amount of diplomas needed to gain access to stabilising fusion cores would help, as would expanding the means to get unstabilised cores.

On this note, we've just put through a massive resist buff for fortified, lac, and demented kits to narrow the gap between them and ada kits because the current values are pretty crazy.

Here are the new stats for the T20 kits:
T20 Fortified 74% to all except mining at -150% (17.5% and -182.5% previously)
T20 Laconia 76% to all except mining at -120% (30% and -170 previously)
T20 Demented 78% to all except mining at -120% (50% and -150% previously)
and T20 Ada is unchanged at 80% to all except mining at -120%

I'm hoping this will make Lac and Dem kits more viable for defense, to help new players get into building for cheaper.

Obviously this wont solve any issues overnight but I think its a step in the right direction.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:25 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

SI wrote:
Here are the new stats for the T20 kits:
T20 Fortified 74% to all except mining at -150% (17.5% and -182.5% previously)
T20 Laconia 76% to all except mining at -120% (30% and -170 previously)
T20 Demented 78% to all except mining at -120% (50% and -150% previously)
and T20 Ada is unchanged at 80% to all except mining at -120%

what the fuck

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:11 am
Team: Traders
Main: DefQon1
Level: 5100

SI wrote:
Obviously this wont solve any issues overnight but I think its a step in the right direction.

It's actually a step off the cliff.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:13 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

What's wrong Lemon? Think you won't be able to handle Dem kits now? lol
It won't change anything for us endgamers since we all use Ada kits already anyway.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:28 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next