Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post General Bug-Report November 2015
Star Sonata - November 2015 - Bug Report

Ok, I'm going to give the best Report I can, noting that several bugs I have previously reported on (that obviously havent been solved yet), will be re-visited.

Radar (window) OFF: flashing coloured filled squares all over screen:-

This bug has been around ever since the first instance of the new radar was implemented (not long after beta became release version), and shows up when you jump into a new system, and during certain weapons hits aorund you, and recently I notice that It has alot to do with the shield support occurance... It would appear that all the code associated with rendering the original radar has not been omited, and that perhaps the new code was sheepishly over-modded ontop of what would be remnance of a core routine! This need's Jey's skills applied to it, at a cost, to rectify! This bug happens regardless of using an Intel GPU setup, or an ATI/NVIDIA!

Corrupted Bacgrounds Nebulae graphics:-

This has also been a problem for a while, and seems to be non-specific to the type of GPU standard your trusty old computer is using (INTEL/VIA versus ATI/NVIDIA)! The first level backgrounds can be removed with the /lkc rmbg 1 command, yet the second "Lower level" graphics (eg. inside Ring system for example, or the Wild-Space Earthforce Frontier Systems!) are not aleviated by such lag killer commands.

Now I spoke with Jey more than a year ago, at length, in personal PM about this - It would seem that such graphical standards communications need to be normalised to achieve a common objective, graphics ram allocations for the textures need's to be fortified, instead of left alufe, so that we can experience fancy "smexy" backgrounds nebulae effects with joy, instead of disdain.

Radar Window wont Resize its internal information to match:-

I've also talked with Jey about this one rather specifically more than a year ago, and we discussed in length methods to aleviate it - it would seem he hasnt gotten around to this one yet, but I think that he should make it a priority - Its definitely INTEL GPU specific, and doesnt occur with an ATI/NVIDIA Chipset!

The radar window, when you resize it, doesnt resize the actual information in it to match the dimensions of the window, when using an INTEL GPU onboard (or GPU Chipset in general!), but WILL when using an advanced ATI/Nvidia chipset!

I explained to Jey that to fix this was a simple matter of detecting the users PC Chipset, and allocating the appropriate sent of none-too dissimillar commands (routines) to achieve the objective - ie. Resize the radar window, and the information happily resizes with it... blah blah!

The same thing could be said for some of the other graphical issues - detect the chipset standard (INTEL versus ATI/NVIDIA use distinctly 2 different standards for GPU commands and data structures etc, as do INTEL versus AMD style CPU's relating to interal functions...!) and have 2 different sets of Routines that achieve the intended graphical objective...

Apon initial character login - first dock with userbase Delay (FPS):-

This happens when you first dock with a user-base (particularly noticable on older less powerfull systems, mainly those that use inbuilt doubly slower gpu pathways!), the game lag's down to 1fps or less, for several seconds, maybe 15 and your data rate jumps a few hundred kbits/sec!

This didnt happen with C1, and there's no reason it should with C2, except to note that it would seem that C2 doesnt Cache alot of information from server that it perhaps could; all it has to do (the client) is ask server if the data has changed (eg "Has Map Changed?" server answers "No", client CACHES the map reload from LOCAL disk!!) and appropriate; instead of reloading all that Station Window tabulation data every time... blah blah.. this narrative is obvious.

Overall C2 Re-Coding Efforts:-

Seriously guys, it would seem that your a team of "Modders" that "Mod" a game, or institute a new level of over-routine checking that jump-tables your new code apon the allready functional, and now confused and tripping all over itself - client core!, to the point where we get delays apon new-missile hits, or drone relaying, or double shield number data apon transferance assistance etc...

The lesson I'm trying to impart here is; Learn the NATURE of SS's Core Programming as if to study its Structure-Chart and Routine Mechanics in FULL before you attempt to re-write or code over the top of (MOD) the game, because if you dont, we users are left with a managery of a client that misperformes and slows itself down trying to become something its not - because it hasnt truly been re-written understanding how it was designed to perform in the first place! ie. Talk to Jey FIRST before offering your imature modifications to the game's Code, he knows enough to opperate on Jeff's behalf, to ensure the game lasts into the furture as far as compatability's are concerned, and newonces are related!

-------

From Lazerus;

I may not have the time to tell you guys again (Devmins!), so please attempt to read, understand and comprehend what I'm explaining to you, bases soley on what I've reported in the past - I'm trying to save this game; do you need me to apply to Jeff again to become a Lead Programmer? Surely Jey can tilt you lot in the right direction - ok your enthusiasm may continue to hold the game up into the future, but you wont always have people like Jey and Me to make sure you do it PROPERLY!

Dont say I dont give a shiz about Star Sonata!

But its (this) is not about me, its about THE GAME!

Cheers,

From Lazerus {-TradersLeague-} 8)

PS: I'm too drunk to remember any more bugs at the moment, hehe :wink:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:14 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
Post Re: General Bug-Report November 2015
You're back!

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:23 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Who are you even addressing? Other than Jey it's just SI who does code changes nowadays, and I think he knows what he's doing.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Please apply to be lead programmer. I would shit my pants.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 pm
Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Ok, thanks for your reply's, very amusing RE, thanks for the laugh! Here is some more bug's I managed to remember, I hope it helps:-

* On less powerfull systems (below a dual-core 32bit!), the login screen phase of client initialization lag's like mad, downloading the new's ok, but wont let you (doesnt seem to try!) login your account for as much as 5mins!, it appears to be routine related regarding a timer referance or something processor intensive - didnt used to happen, is a result of a semi-recent patch.

* The early missions for new characters down in the nexus (the auto-complete style low level ones) tend to crash on completion of objectives nearly every time.

* Ships and planets, when facing directly left, suddenly have their graphics (and engine emissions) face 180 degree's about, although technically the ship/planet is still facing left!

* Slaves fly away for ever off into the distance in dg's after being hit by gremming ai like ruby/emerald etc transport grem like weapons, obviously they keep flying off as if the grem never wore off, but its long since done so.

* some strange, give you an automatically set autopilot to a destination slightly to the left of your position as you undock from a station or base, and sometimes randomly.

I'll try to remember some more... Cheerz. :-)

Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Can't wait for December 2015 episode

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:11 pm
Profile WWW