Site Admin / Dev Team
Team: Admins
Main: The SI
Level: 2016

Post Re: Item Tiers for Rarity
Based on everyone's responses (both on the forums, and discussions I've had elsewhere) the consensus definitely seems to be colored icons in the list views and colored name in the tooltip.

I'll probably have to add a colored icon to the trade tab in stations if we want the rarities represented there (outside the tooltip), though that could look a little weird outside of the misc or all sections.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:19 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

SI wrote:
Based on everyone's responses (both on the forums, and discussions I've had elsewhere) the consensus definitely seems to be colored icons in the list views and colored name in the tooltip.

I'll probably have to add a colored icon to the trade tab in stations if we want the rarities represented there (outside the tooltip), though that could look a little weird outside of the misc or all sections.

Will there also be the ability to manually set a tier's color (really dislike WoW's color scheme as you basically posted) in the DL'd client files?

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:35 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

carterstrain wrote:
SI wrote:

Will there also be the ability to manually set a tier's color (really dislike WoW's color scheme as you basically posted) in the DL'd client files?

Right now I have them hard-coded, but I'll look into what it would take to make them part of the client xml.

Hey, I'm Ryan! I've been playing Star Sonata since early 2005 and I've been involved with the development of the game since 2009. I do server and client programming mainly focusing on bug fixes, but I've also dabbled in creating a little bit of content too such as Captain Kidd.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:54 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

For anyone curious how this is going (I'm getting addicted to status updates), its a lot of work to map all the balance sheets to tiers! I'm nearly done with the sheets though, and I'm expecting to finish in the next few hours. After that I'll move on to a few obvious items that will have to be manually set, such as commods.

Once that is completed, I'll work on making the tiers visible in more places (right now, its just tooltips and ship inventories). I'll have to add support for for the base trade tab, base inventory, and TSL all separately (though because much of the code is shared, it won't be as much work as the initial ship inventory work).

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

SI wrote:
For anyone curious how this is going (I'm getting addicted to status updates), its a lot of work to map all the balance sheets to tiers! I'm nearly done with the sheets though, and I'm expecting to finish in the next few hours. After that I'll move on to a few obvious items that will have to be manually set, such as commods.

Once that is completed, I'll work on making the tiers visible in more places (right now, its just tooltips and ship inventories). I'll have to add support for for the base trade tab, base inventory, and TSL all separately (though because much of the code is shared, it won't be as much work as the initial ship inventory work).

All of this is now finished! If anyone can think of anywhere else item rarities should show, please post here and let me know.

I've been given the suggestion of making dropped items glow with their tier color, which sounds like a fun idea. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:36 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

would be ragey in combination with the scooping bug (don't tell you what name of the thing your trying to scoop is anymore in event)

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

SI wrote:
SI wrote:

All of this is now finished! If anyone can think of anywhere else item rarities should show, please post here and let me know.

I've been given the suggestion of making dropped items glow with their tier color, which sounds like a fun idea. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on it.

Oh wauw that's a really cool suggestion. Wouldn't it be quite hard to implement with the loot crates you were thinking about, though(?) I thought the crate itself doesn't know whats in it :P

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:53 pm
Site Admin / Dev Team

heylo wrote:
SI wrote:
SI wrote:

Oh wauw that's a really cool suggestion. Wouldn't it be quite hard to implement with the loot crates you were thinking about, though(?) I thought the crate itself doesn't know whats in it :P

I've been discussing the issue (of loot space, and how it impacts which combat setups/classes are viable for DGs and such) with other devs, and we have a slightly different idea of how to handle it that we think will work better overall.

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:12 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

I'm officially curious

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 am
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

heylo wrote:
I'm officially curious

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:13 am
Site Admin / Dev Team

For everyone worried about the Artifact tier, let me just say that ruin items will soon be restored to their former glory :)

heylo wrote:
I'm officially curious

I'll be posting a blog or dev notes post soon (tomorrow, maybe?) to outline our ideas before we start any work on it, to see if everyone think it will address the issues.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 pm
Main: Chrono Warrior
Level: 5817

SI wrote:
For everyone worried about the Artifact tier, let me just say that ruin items will soon be restored to their former glory :)

:shock:

Yes please! Ruins need alot of love, glad to hear that they will be getting some dearly needed TLC.

- Chrono

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Id love if my mzungu lore 20 meant a little more :P

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm