Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Post Re: Speed Demon Guide
Was my original conclusion wrong or are you just criticizing something that doesn't matter? If the maths are supposed to come out different then bring it out, otherwise you have no point. If it works, then it's a valid way of doing things.
Anyways, this is turning into derailing.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:54 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Xonok2 wrote:
Was my original conclusion wrong or are you just criticizing something that doesn't matter? If the maths are supposed to come out different then bring it out.
Anyways, this is turning into derailing.

Despite what you may believe, I'm not just giving you hard time for no reason. In fact, I didn't mean for our interaction to get so antagonistic in the first place. I really just want to understand why you chose to explain it the way you did. In this community, so many people have said stuff like "bonus A is applied AFTER bonus B" but no one has ever been able to explain to me why they say this. As you yourself acknowledge, it doesn't matter which way things are multiplied.

So when you were deciding how to explain the formula, why did it strike you as relevant to share this detail? Do you find that it helps to clarify the process? If so, how?

The formulas themselves are trivial. I have learned over the years that explaining them is not. So when I see someone using what I feel is a crazy strategy for explaining them, I want to find out more. It helps me to understand where new players are coming from.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:05 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

You have no idea how many times I've had some noob ask me whether class skills apply "before or after" augmenters. I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to that question. I'm hoping you can offer some insight since you not only use the same language, but also actually understand what the correct formula is.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:14 pm
Team: The Great Armada
Main: Xonok6
Level: 602

Well, the way I as a person with programming experience view things is that I try to find the most straightforward solution. Although the order of multiplication doesn't affect the result, it's still done in some specific order that is most likely chosen based on how easy it is to implement.
Why I chose this order over the opposite is that it leaves the least exceptions. I can just say "class skills apply after items, except that capacitors are unaffected by everything". That perfectly explains why ZoFR, Control and resistance skills, RC, DD and maybe something else is not affected by augmenters, with just 1 exceptions - capacitors.
Then again if I did it the other way around the list of exceptions would be long - ZoFR, control and resistance skills, RC, DD... and capacitors!
Sure, I could say they're all flat bonuses, but I don't know an easy way to explain what that means to someone whose first language isn't English.

I think what confuses people more is that this game makes no distinction between percentages and whatever it is that LoL uses for armor. If you sit down and think about it you'll probably find it logical that something reducing damage taken by 100% is more than twice as good as 50%. Although this is an extreme example, the same applies when comparing 10% and 20%.
However, this is not how this game works, because this stat works differently(the same way as in LoL, from what I've seen).
This kind of inconsistency in representation is common in this game and we've simply learned to deal with it over the years.
Similarly, what reason do people have to believe that class skills are different than any other bonuses? None, other than looking at the ship screen and trying to see how the stats add up. Most people don't do that, so they say things like "RoF augs on SD are not good, because you already have tons of RoF".

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:33 am