Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

Post For those on Windows 7 (and don't want Windows 10).
This sounds important: Warning: Windows 7 computers are being reported as automatically starting the Windows 10 upgrade without permission.

Support

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:03 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

Post Re: For those on Windows 7 (and don't want Windows 10).
Yea this is a pretty common issue. My 8.1 pc has had the update downloaded automatically even though I've turned updates off and deleted the download multiple times.

It just does it when you're not using the comp and tries to force the upgrade.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:08 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

Everyone said Germany was crazy when they tried to change all their computer systems to Linux. It did fail, because the change was too expensive to retrain all their techs and employees and military to Linux, but everyone said Germany was crazy. Microsoft has a backdoor on every little computer from Windows 7 and up by default through the OS. Whoever controls Microsoft controls nearly the whole free world. Yayyyy.

I'm happy with my Windows 10, though.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:27 pm

carterstrain wrote:
Everyone said Germany was crazy when they tried to change all their computer systems to Linux. It did fail, because the change was too expensive to retrain all their techs and employees and military to Linux, but everyone said Germany was crazy. Microsoft has a backdoor on every little computer from Windows 7 and up by default through the OS. Whoever controls Microsoft controls nearly the whole free world. Yayyyy.

Everyone said? I've never even heard of that. Nice conspiracy theory, and I'm glad to hear your overlords have pleased you with their new OS.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:50 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

carterstrain wrote:

Honestly if we actually put the entire free world in the hands of Bill and Melinda Gates, we would probably see massive strides and improvements in society almost overnight, so unfortunately your statement isn't as true as I'd like it to be.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:39 pm

http://www.cnet.com/news/munich-breaks-with-windows-for-linux/

"Some governments enjoy the fact that they can see all the source code underlying Linux, as it reassures them that, among other things, there is no secret code that could compromise their systems. "

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-munich-rejected-steve-ballmer-and-kicked-microsoft-out-of-the-city/

""Our main goal was to become independent."
Peter Hoffmann, Project Lead"

https://www.linuxvoice.com/the-big-switch/

“With the Linux alternative, we saw that it would be possible to implement the security guidelines we wanted to have. ..."

I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist.

You guys are the one that mentioned that all these Windows 7 and Windows 8 OS based computers are automatically, without permission, and hiding the truth from the customer, updating to Windows 10.

The ONLY link between all these computers from hundreds of thousands into the millions of users ... is that they use a Windows 7 or greater, but not Windows 10, computer. You tell me Microsoft doesn't have a backdoor through the OS, because Windows 10 wasn't even projected when Windows 7 was introduced. If Microsoft can remotely bypass your entire computer, ignoring any Anti-Virus or similar type programs completely to install Windows 10 against your actions and permissions, then they can access everything else on your computer. This is a very real threat to your personal security.

Have you heard of Order 66?

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:57 pm

You've been talking to Lilith and Lazerus a bit too much.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:35 pm

TCGM pointed it to me years ago. No skin off my bones if Obama uses information to build a case that you are sekretly eyy terrerisk...

It gives me a giggle fit, though. I feel like Demonblood all of a sudden.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
ShawnMcCall wrote:
carterstrain wrote:

Honestly if we actually put the entire free world in the hands of Bill and Melinda Gates, we would probably see massive strides and improvements in society almost overnight, so unfortunately your statement isn't as true as I'd like it to be.

The Gates don't necessarily control MS anymore.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:03 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

ELITE wrote:
You've been talking to Lilith and Lazerus a bit too much.

He's not wrong about the Germany bit.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:16 pm
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

I have read on tweakers.net (dutch IT site) that it is about updates KB3035583 and KB3139929. Reddit only talks about KB3035583.
Just uninstalled both of them after finding out they both been on my PC for 2 weeks. and making a backup of my disk on a external disk at this moment just in case. Happened before that 80+ programs + lots of files just got deleted by W10 update (they even made a nice looking file about what programs were deleted).

RIP MS, if this keeps on I might install Chrome OS. And demand a refund I will never get anyway.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:03 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

lordjeroen wrote:
RIP MS, if this keeps on I might install Chrome OS.

Not read into Chrome OS much, do you get exposed to normal OS stuff?

Quote:
And demand a refund I will never get anyway.

Not sure if MS changed their terms now, but some retailers will sell laptops with non Windows OS's on them. System76 sell extremely pricey, but very nice laptops and their default OS is Ubuntu (more available on request, iirc). Novatech, which is where I usually get components from, sell laptops with no OS installed (I think they'll also do a linux install for you for a small fee). And there's always self-build.

Support

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 pm
Main: number666.5
Level: 8921

Blue Dwarf wrote:
lordjeroen wrote:
RIP MS, if this keeps on I might install Chrome OS.

Not read into Chrome OS much, do you get exposed to normal OS stuff?

Quote:
And demand a refund I will never get anyway.

Not sure if MS changed their terms now, but some retailers will sell laptops with non Windows OS's on them. System76 sell extremely pricey, but very nice laptops and their default OS is Ubuntu (more available on request, iirc). Novatech, which is where I usually get components from, sell laptops with no OS installed (I think they'll also do a linux install for you for a small fee). And there's always self-build.

As what I heard Chrome OS looks the same as windows, but everything runs trough the internet. Installing games and programs might be a problem of what I heard. But I'm not sure.

I'm getting the hang of Ubuntu myself, if Chrome seems useless then I might go that if MS goes to far for me (google also stores data like MS, but I don't worry to much about it since I don't do illigal stuff (ok, next to hacking the government and stuff).

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:56 am
Team: Traders
Main: Bonehead
Level: 2447

Don't let GWX.exe run on your Win 7 system.

Remove all GWX folders. This is done in GOD mode. You must take ownership of the folders in order to delete them.

Remove GWX from all REGISTRY entries.

GWX = Get Windows X/10

There is a Win 7 update that also needs to be removed. ... KB3035583

Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 am
Team: Red Faction
Main: Paladinofdoom
Level: 3693

I don't understand how knowing this doesn't make you guys uncomfortable. Microsoft can, at any time, force it to install arbitary updates which you do not know the content of. Microsoft's OSes are malware.

---

For those of you that for some reason want to let Microsoft own your computer rather than yourselves, they eventually published these instructions about how to deal with your computer forcing unwanted Windows 10 downgrades on its owner.

Note that they made it as awkward as digging through your registry, rather than making it as simple as a tick-box option.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

---

This article talks about the issue of Microsoft keeping a copy of your Bitlocker encryption keys, and has instructions on how to deal with that.

https://theintercept.com/2015/12/28/recently-bought-a-windows-computer-microsoft-probably-has-your-encryption-key/

---

Or start using a different OS. It really isn't as hard as you think. Many Linux distros are essentially identical to Windows for the average user.

Keep another hard drive with Windows 7/8 on it if you must have it for games you want to play, but don't store anything important on it.

Steam has plenty of games that run natively on Linux nowadays. StarSonata runs perfectly well on Linux using Wine, and Jey has written a script to make installing and setting that up super-simple:
http://www.starsonata.com/mac-linux

---

(I posted this information to hopefully help some of you guys. I am not interested in arguing over the relative merits of Windows vs. Linux. Use whatever you want, but don't intentionally blinker yourself to the issues.)

Paladin,

This guy gets my full Jiggle!

He is full of awesomesauce, and Jigglyness, buy from him!

Kanga

Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 am