Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
Team: Eminence Front
Main: ChikushodoPain
Level: 3616

Post Re: last time.
I wonder how the defences in his galaxy were laid.
Even for old time players when you see a 5-7-10 Adamantium Kit galaxy fall over night is quite disheartening to even end gamers.
If you've put 0 effort in laying defences, you get told how to actually do it from some who is invested in helping smaller teams in improving. I don't know how you guys declined 13 his help, but the same thing happened between IS & RF.

Seeing how little stuff has been built in their galaxies it wouldn't be so hard to get their shit rebuild, even when you aren't a hardcore gamer. Diplomatics is a big line of defence, but actually having stuff to show that you have defences laid in your galaxy makes people second guess attacking you.

This is the same things that were told at the end of RF & Traders vs EF war, people bitching about people quitting because they lost stuff. It isn't fun to loose bases, but if you didn't built any decent defences than you are kinda expected to loose your galaxies.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:32 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

andezrhode2a wrote:
anilv wrote:
I'm not that sympathetic to the cost in time incurred by setting up defenses and industry. Sure, if you have to do it every week it gets old fast, but we all do it once every 3-4 months as is. This guy would have had to do it twice instead.

It will only take a mathematician to bring human behavior down to calculations, and an educational researcher to tell you that man is a lot more complex than that.

I'm going to see Yeh11a as a person, and not a mechanical creature, and wildly guess that setting up his galaxies again, isn't just about repeating the action. It is about a lot more than that, which you, little mathematician, need to open your eyes to. Stop ruining this game with numbers and formulas, and see the players for what they are - people.

anilv wrote:
So… are you saying it shouldn't be possible to kill someone else's gal, even if they've claimed far more territory than they can reasonably hold?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

I offer EVERY small team my services in free gear and knowledge, especially electric sheep because they take so much space. 1 little grem laser would have been enough to make me not do it.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:09 pm
Team: Zephyr
Main: -13-
Level: 4430

andezrhode2a wrote:
anilv wrote:
I'm not that sympathetic to the cost in time incurred by setting up defenses and industry. Sure, if you have to do it every week it gets old fast, but we all do it once every 3-4 months as is. This guy would have had to do it twice instead.

It will only take a mathematician to bring human behavior down to calculations, and an educational researcher to tell you that man is a lot more complex than that.

I'm going to see Yeh11a as a person, and not a mechanical creature, and wildly guess that setting up his galaxies again, isn't just about repeating the action. It is about a lot more than that, which you, little mathematician, need to open your eyes to. Stop ruining this game with numbers and formulas, and see the players for what they are - people.

Building in this game is as mechanical as humans get.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm
Main: Evade
Level: 5731

But understanding human behavior is so complex, that you can't narrow it down to formulas and numbers. I'm not saying we shouldn't have them, I'm saying it won't be sufficient to explain why Yeh11a has decided to do what he does.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:16 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Its one thing to kill someones stuff because you want the resources they have, its another to rain wanton destruction on someone because "They built poorly".

Should he have built better? YES!

Can be just build again? YES!

Should he accept help from better players? YES!

Does he want to do any of that? No. He explained how he doesn't have time for all of that, and to all of you saying "Well go play another game"... You do realize that "Go play another game" combined with overly punishing game play mechanics is the reason SS isn't doing so well player wise... Right? People eventually quit for various reasons, but the devs should be doing everything they can to make sure people aren't leaving for avoidable reasons.

Territory control in SS leaves no room for casual players. If you aren't able to muster up a sizable force to defend your territory you get fucked, because the players in this game that attack territories are able to crack your bases unless you know what you're doing.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:23 pm
over 9000!

MasterTrader wrote:
Territory control in SS leaves no room for casual players. If you aren't able to muster up a sizable force to defend your territory you get fucked, because the players in this game that attack territories are able to crack your bases unless you know what you're doing.

You demonstrate with this statement that you aren't familiar with the current balance of PvB in this game. This guy isn't a poster child for your crusade. He's a veteran player who never could be bothered to pay attention to changing trends in galaxy defense. With apologies to -13-, if your gals die to him you have demonstrated not even the least bit of building acumen. A small active team of newcomers to the game would do much better than this, even if they just spammed a lot of junkyard kits.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

If anything these type of players don't get killed enough, then they wouldnt go putting their valuables in Crappy gals and getting butt hurt when they lose it.

A player needs to factor in expected losses in the first instance when basing.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: Danger
Level: 7164

Can we haz op termites again that will rek these galaxies pliz? Would save me a lot of headaches from looking at newbies galaxies that have 0 effort in defense! Anyone know what's actaully wrong with em? Do they have like non-base shields on them which gives them 0 shields or?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:58 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Yeah, he isn't "part of my crusade". But when people complain about the game dying it is my opinion that reasons for quitting like the OPs are more common than you'd think.

Actually, I'm 100% wrong and you're 100% right.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: LemonPrime
Level: 8087

I don't see this as the game's fault. If you have bases in Wild Space, that is effectively leaving your PvP characters afk in some random galaxy 24/7.

From what 13 is saying, all of his problems could have been solved had he just been online to talk to 13. But ofc, he wasn't online. Due to whatever reason. I don't see how that is the game's fault. We advertise as a PvP game, he build in a hostile territory and then didn't use any of his outs to protect his possessions. Politics, stronger building, friendships with other players, communication, etc. The situation could have been entirely avoided had he just been online to take advantage. But he wasn't.

So how does the game fix that problem? Of players not being online 24/7 to protect their assets? I would say you can't. If a player doesn't want to risk everything he owns, he probably shouldn't have left it out in the open for someone to take. Leaving your wallet on a random park bench and then complaining that someone took it because you were at work? Doesn't make any sense to me.

While I'm sad to see an old veteran go, this just feels like it's being used as a flagship to pioneer changes that don't need to be added to the game. I get the gist that he was barely playing as is, and because of his afk'ness, this time around he won't be rebuilding. To me that sounds like he was on the way out anyways, and this is just a final straw type of thing.

small edit: I'd like for this situation to not happen ever again. But we lack any sort of building tutorial that teaches anything about galaxy defense. The only way to obtain that information is to scan other gals (hostile act), or learn from someone who is willing to teach you. And even with those methods of gaining knowledge, if you're not online, obviously you can't take advantage of those things.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 pm
Main: king kone
Level: 37

heylo wrote:
If you don't mind me asking - How did you put up your defense?

1 Laconia T18/T20 per gal for STM defense. Couple of T14-T16 supporting bases. Rest low tech CA and EXE.

Paladin scanned those galaxies earlier and were disgusted by them. Made 13's junk spam look as dangerous as TR core gals. Electric Sheep basically took Infernal Empire's standards and lowered them. I figure the only reason they didn't get wiped first was people didn't actually know they existed until after IE made a ragequit post.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:32 pm
over 9000!

anilv wrote:
A small active team of newcomers to the game would do much better than this, even if they just spammed a lot of junkyard kits.

Vindication.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:52 pm
Team: Traders
Main: Yehaaaaaaaaaaa
Level: 5455

anilv wrote:
jack the ripper wrote:
I capped a couple gals and offered to return all the lost gear, return the kits, and pay for losses and grief. This offer was not utilized.

If this is true, and I am inclined to believe -13- on a matter like this, then I don't understand why the player is quitting.

I'm certainly not aware of any such offer. Perhaps, as is said later in the thread, it is assumed that I, like anyone else, naturally would be online when shit like this happens. So bullshit.

My bases? Yep, generally just one dem t20 for stm, then supporting t18 hps. Most of my kits were t16. It was what I could afford to do. Considering it was the first time I had built since the Traders/SP debacle, (which I still consider an exploit, t21/22 players just overpowering & capping t20 bases), so I started with no base gear and thought I was getting there. But I have always been very aware of not putting anything on a base you can't afford to lose. but I've just started from scratch. To have it happen again means I'm pissed off and yes, rage-quitting.

If someone doesn't understand why I'm quitting, well fuck you. I can name a shitload of people that this has happened to at various stages through my playing time and each and every time it's because someone is making it harder to play.

It's not the endgame players that need to be catered for, it's the newbies and midgame players. That's where the dollars are for game development and ongoing improvements. Many people simply don't want to go on to become emp, or do Oly, or the Avesaka thingies that I've never got around to doing. I'm trying to constructively criticise here and a lot of what I see is self justification from some of the main offenders. It's not Jeff, advertising and lack of content that's killing the game, it's them alienating the low/midrange player base through bullying tactics, no matter how they try and justify it. Until that gets sorted the game is spiralling downhill.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 pm
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

If you ever come back then I suggest you build deeper into the arm of wildspace (lower DF, not so high that you go into w3 again). You can get settled there and the community has a pretty clear arrangement that nobody will be harmed in that section of the universe. It's a good place to get started and build up so that, when the next uni comes around, you can take a higher danger factor gal and work you way up from there.

I actually think this goes for all of Electric Sheep. None of the gals they own are well enough defended for simple junkyard bvb, I am fairly sure.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next