Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

Post anyone else dissapointed in No Man's Sky?
Such high hopes for this game.. No Man's sky is a beautiful and stunning technological marvel of endless exploration that very quickly becomes boring and frustrating to play.

Here is probably the most honest review of the game so far that goes into this in more detail: http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/ ... w-10-hours

"The problem, then, is that those parts are so constantly interrupted or put on hold for the sake of a survival loop that just isn’t very fun. Shit, I’m almost out of carbon, which means I need to wander over to some local plant life and slowly cut it down with my mining tool. Damn, I’m ready to leave this planet but my thrusters are low on power; time to wander mindlessly until I happen across some plutonium.

The mundanity of this cycle is exacerbated by an insultingly tiny inventory space that requires near-constant juggling and micromanaging. Was it plutonium or platinum that I needed? Can I actually keep all of these tradeable trinkets I’ve found until I stumble across an NPC willing to trade with me, or can I just not spare the space? These are the types of strategic questions I found myself asking as I played No Man’s Sky, and frankly they just don’t make for a terribly engaging experience so far."

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:05 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Post Re: anyone else dissapointed in No Man's Sky?
Still waiting for it to release to PC. Will reserve my judgment.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:31 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Don't like survival games? Then don't play survival games...

If they hadn't included the survival element people would complain about there not being any challenge, because really are just the shittiest thing...

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:57 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:

If they hadn't included the survival element people would complain about there not being any challenge, because really are just the shittiest thing...

You should play it and then find out. I love survival games but NMS isn't one. Making a dozen tedious things you need to do in order to just do basic things doesn't make it a survival game, otherwise by that definition star sonata is a survival game. Most survival games that are good have a survival aspect that really drives your decisions and forces you to make hard choices. Should I kill that other player for his potential can of beans? Should I risk going into that zombie infested ruins in the hopes of there being food, or just keep starving out here in the woods living off berries? There is none of this in NMS, none of the strategy or adrenaline pumping risks.

Imagine playing SS where everything on your ship needs fuel, your engine, power plant, each weapon, shields, radar etc. But they each use a different fuel, AND you are limited from stocking up on any of the fuels that would allow for more than about 15 minutes of consecutive play, and so just endless run around looking for more. <--- This is NMS. Just being a tedious doesnt make it a survival game, but hey at least the worlds are beautiful.

NMS may eventually be great but really feels like a Steam early access game right now. Great core concept, but with not much direction after that. Maybe in a year or two it will be awesome.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:10 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

I haven't played the game but soundtrack is nice and artwork is awesome!

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 am

dreadlordnaf wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

You should play it and then find out. I love survival games but NMS isn't one. Making a dozen tedious things you need to do in order to just do basic things doesn't make it a survival game, otherwise by that definition star sonata is a survival game. Most survival games that are good have a survival aspect that really drives your decisions and forces you to make hard choices. Should I kill that other player for his potential can of beans? Should I risk going into that zombie infested ruins in the hopes of there being food, or just keep starving out here in the woods living off berries? There is none of this in NMS, none of the strategy or adrenaline pumping risks.

Imagine playing SS where everything on your ship needs fuel, your engine, power plant, each weapon, shields, radar etc. But they each use a different fuel, AND you are limited from stocking up on any of the fuels that would allow for more than about 15 minutes of consecutive play, and so just endless run around looking for more. <--- This is NMS. Just being a tedious doesnt make it a survival game, but hey at least the worlds are beautiful.

NMS may eventually be great but really feels like a Steam early access game right now. Great core concept, but with not much direction after that. Maybe in a year or two it will be awesome.

You're giving survival games way too much credit. I have never been forced into a complex decision in one and odds are you haven't either. If you have allow me solve every survival game dilemma you have ever faced; the most advantageous route is always to form a coalition and only attack if provoked.

Glad I could help with that anyway, survival games are perky based on tedium and always have been. Asking fire a survival game without tedium is asking for an RPG...

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:37 am

And honestly if you're this upset about it then that tells me it's a very good survival game because the resource gathering vs gameplay elements are frustrating you enough to bring you here angry. Ergo, it's doing its job well.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:
And honestly if you're this upset about it then that tells me it's a very good survival game because the resource gathering vs gameplay elements are frustrating you enough to bring you here angry. Ergo, it's doing its job well.

You seem to be projecting a lot of assumptions, when you would know for sure if you actually played the game. Out of curiosity do you plan on buying it?

Naw Im not upset, years of SS has made me immune to getting upset at games anymore. I am annoyed though that I blew $60 dollars for a game that has the features of a $19.99 Steam early access game.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 am

Haven't bought it yet, but watching the streamers, I see nothing wrong with it. For a game based on interstellar exploration with no actual campaign it's basically exactly what I assumed it would be.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am

Basically how you have to look at it, is this; without anything other than exploration and upgrades driving the gameplay, it would soon become incredibly boring. In order to avoid this they require resource gathering for basically every action. You need something to breathe on other planets (which makes sense), you need fuel for your fancy space ships fancy space guns (which makes sense), in a storm you need additional environmental protection (which makes sense), you need fuel for your giant flying contraption to fly you around the planet and into space (which makes sense).

Survival games are based on two main themes Survival and Enjoyment. The idea is that the better you are at the survival element the more enjoyment you receive vs someone just playing to have fun who will struggle or die because they don't prioritize survival. All the good streams I have been watching players are successful because they prioritize resources above other aspects of the game i.e. oh look at that huge dinosaur in the distance, Imma go scan him, but first! Lemme shoot every single node in a 100 meter radius of my route with my fancy mining gun.

Gather while you play and prioritize it above other things and your problems disappear. It seems like all your complaints kind of mirror the complaints that I see from people who have never played a survival game, or didn't get far into a survival game.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:34 am

So I finally read the article. the guy says in it that he refused to follow the development interviews with the game, and didn't expect a survival aspect, which the developers were very straightforward about there being one. The entire article, and his negative review hinges on him wishing it wasn't a survival game, which he finally comes right out with when he says

"I would love the opportunity to just explore these places, jump between them at will, explore the galaxy and see what awaits me without the constant pressure to collect a bunch of crafting materials just to survive."

And the irony is that other than that his review is positively glowing. Basically the reviewer is a shitty gamer, refused to study his buy, got something in a genre he didn't like, and now he wants to bitch until they remove the survival aspect because it's too hard for him.

Which returns to my initial point, if you don't like survival games, don't play survival games.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:45 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:
So I finally read the article. the guy says in it that he refused to follow the development interviews with the game, and didn't expect a survival aspect, which the developers were very straightforward about there being one. The entire article, and his negative review hinges on him wishing it wasn't a survival game, which he finally comes right out with when he says

"I would love the opportunity to just explore these places, jump between them at will, explore the galaxy and see what awaits me without the constant pressure to collect a bunch of crafting materials just to survive."

And the irony is that other than that his review is positively glowing. Basically the reviewer is a shitty gamer, refused to study his buy, got something in a genre he didn't like, and now he wants to bitch until they remove the survival aspect because it's too hard for him.

Which returns to my initial point, if you don't like survival games, don't play survival games.

There is a lot more wrong with it than this one aspect that you are focusing on, and "meh" would be a good summary of a number of other reviewers who look at its other game play aspects, but given it doesn't look like you will be buying it you dont really need to worry about it I guess.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am

dreadlordnaf wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

There is a lot more wrong with it than this one aspect that you are focusing on, and "meh" would be a good summary of a number of other reviewers who look at its other game play aspects, but given it doesn't look like you will be buying it you dont really need to worry about it I guess.

Actually I will be buying it as soon as my computer gets to me, I just moved from Japan, and I don't think my tablet can run it, so...

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:56 am

Antilzah wrote:
I haven't played the game but soundtrack is nice and artwork is awesome!

In these areas the game is top notch. The graphics are more stylized vs realistic, but if you like that and I kind of do, then its nice.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:58 am

ShawnMcCall wrote:
dreadlordnaf wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

Actually I will be buying it as soon as my computer gets to me, I just moved from Japan, and I don't think my tablet can run it, so...

That is a blessing in disguise then that may save you $60. If you or anyone is on the fence you should check out the PS4 forums on the game since that is where the most active conversation of it is right now.

It is just surprising how many little really annoying semi-game breaking things are in the game they didn't bother to polish or fix. Like for example they wont let you fly very low to the ground so you have to kind of guess with your ship high up in the air where you are vertically landing. You can accidentally land on a tall rock sticking up, not realize it, then immediately fall down when you exit, and no way back up to your ship except to kill yourself, all because the game wont let you look down or fly closer to the ground. Or you can start off on a planet that doesn't even have present the resources needed to fix your initial ship, and you wont realize it until after a few hours of painful searching, and will need to kill yourself and restart on another planet to fix that etc..

They are already patching some stuff, but its a bit odd for such a big budget game to have these kinds of problems. Add in to that clunky UI and inventory management, bad navigation controls, etc, and hence my comment before about it seeming more like an alpha early access version.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:08 am