Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Post Re: new universe generation feature: Resource Explosion Pass
For years people have been complaining about afk builders never having to spend any time optimizing their setup after day1. Now all inactive builders have to log on to equip more extractors on their bases. And maybe resetup a slave or few. Success!

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 am
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: 1-800-USE_THE_FORCE!
Level: 9597

Antilzah wrote:
For years people have been complaining about afk builders never having to spend any time optimizing their setup after day1. Now all inactive builders have to log on to equip more extractors on their bases. And maybe resetup a slave or few. Success!

Can this be a common thing every uni now? Perhaps even space out more explosions through out the uni?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:30 am
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

redalert150 wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

Can this be a common thing every uni now? Perhaps even space out more explosions through out the uni?

Have them every month so builders need to sub more than once per uni!

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:33 am
Dev Team
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

Antilzah wrote:
redalert150 wrote:
Antilzah wrote:

Have them every month so builders need to sub more than once per uni!

lol, currently its just set to automatically do it at the uni generation time. but it would be a possibility if we tweak the numbers and maybe add a visual feedback in the galaxies affected. Right now it was just designed as an extra resource pass on uni generation.

There is the fact that the older a uni is, the less value resources have so its not as much of a problem to have more at that point. Would need more than wild guess tho xD

Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 am
Team: The Dividing Contrast
Main: The Ultimatum
Level: 282

Is it just me or was the whole buildup for this just pointless, Planets i've scanned have gone from "bit" to Bunch" or nothing to bunch at the very most, being like 4 planets/large gal, and this in higher dfs, I thought the whole point was to get the lower dfs to a much higher T0 level so they could at least Compare to higher df wise and be viable to actualy build in to create production kits ect.

While this isn't really an issue for myself since I have gotten decent T0 rich galaxies Many of my team-mates have built in lower df Just because of this change thinking they would be beefed a large amount to account for the sheer lack of T0s atm.

Please re-look at your figures or w/e because while the planet count to last uni might be similar T0s were nearly always plenty/loads in the higher df which accounted for 80% of wildspace at the time.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:22 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

It used to be nice like you said either loads or 0 in a lot of cases rather than averaged across all planets.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Planet went from 0 Harvesters > 2 Harvesters
Planet went from 0 Metal Extractors > 7 Metal Extractors
Planet went from 0 Silicon Extractors > 3 Silicon Extractors
Planet went from 0 Harvesters > 2 Harvesters
Planet went from 0 Metal Extractors > 3 Metal Extractors
Moon went from 0 Metals Extractors > 8 Metal Extractors
Any planet/moon with no change I didn't even bother listing. Maybe it's just bad luck for me but I didn't see much of an increase. Gave up adding extractors to bases part way through was waste of time.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

hurts colony profits if the planet already has nuc / baobs. Wouldnt want those spread round.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Dev Team

only about 30-40 galaxies in wildspace will see a noticeable increase (those on which the explosions happened and those in close proximity), the pass was implemented pretty much exactly how its described in the blog post, there has been no last minute change on that side. What took time was to write a way to debug the result and then a proper algorithm to position the explosion in a way that would be random and not predictable all the while respecting the minimum distance to other explosions etc.

most of the smaller increases are caused by the pass 1,2 and 3. Which did exactly what i said they would in the blog post. They added small amount of resources in a large number of galaxies. Then pass 4 added larger amount of resources in a few randomly selected galaxies then added more to their surrounding scaling down by the distance.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Jey123456 wrote:
only about 30-40 galaxies in wildspace will see a noticeable increase (those on which the explosions happened and those in close proximity), the pass was implemented pretty much exactly how its described in the blog post, there has been no last minute change on that side. What took time was to write a way to debug the result and then a proper algorithm to position the explosion in a way that would be random and not predictable all the while respecting the minimum distance to other explosions etc.

most of the smaller increases are caused by the pass 1,2 and 3. Which did exactly what i said they would in the blog post. They added small amount of resources in a large number of galaxies. Then pass 4 added larger amount of resources in a few randomly selected galaxies then added more to their surrounding scaling down by the distance.

Yeah, well... this would have been extremely great if it was implemented BEFORE players built.

Except it was implemented AFTER players built.

Which means that the players who built in gals which didn't get a good pass are in barely a better situation than before.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 pm
Dev Team

Masterful wrote:
Jey123456 wrote:

Yeah, well... this would have been extremely great if it was implemented BEFORE players built.

Except it was implemented AFTER players built.

Which means that the players who built in gals which didn't get a good pass are in barely a better situation than before.

its setup to be done with universe reset, since i cannot go back in time without angering even more players (rollback a week anyone ? XD) doing it now was the best i could offer. the next uni its just gonna be automatically done at the universe generation time before anyone has a chance to even log into the game.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:10 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

I don't get why anyone would build in a gal that doesn't have enough resources for them to be profitable in. Sure, the lower DFs aren't great, but did you really drop so many kits in there that you can't stomach the loss to move to a better place now? If you put multiple ada kits in a gal guarding barely any T0 commods, I don't see the logic there.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

anilv wrote:
I don't get why anyone would build in a gal that doesn't have enough resources for them to be profitable in. Sure, the lower DFs aren't great, but did you really drop so many kits in there that you can't stomach the loss to move to a better place now? If you put multiple ada kits in a gal guarding barely any T0 commods, I don't see the logic there.

For the same reason this thread exists: because it was identified as a problem and we were told that the lack of T0 resources was going to be fixed. We just didn't anticipate such a half arsed and over complicated method that barely made a noticeable difference.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:53 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

anilv wrote:

I've got more than enough resources to meet demand this doesn't bother me. Just saying resource pass did diddly squat. Curious of the effect on the more fortunate parts of the universe.

Expecting a team to keep a copy of their team space in storage is a bit foolish however.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:15 am
Dev Team

Masterful wrote:
anilv wrote:

For the same reason this thread exists: because it was identified as a problem and we were told that the lack of T0 resources was going to be fixed. We just didn't anticipate such a half arsed and over complicated method that barely made a noticeable difference.

what did you expect? 70 of a t0 resource every other gal ? That would be a huge increase in resources and completely change the values, as small as they may be.

Only other option would have been to remove the resources from 99% of the planets and redistribute them on a few odd planets resulting in most galaxy not containing a few odd resources, but containing absolutely nothing. I did take the time to explain everything that would happen in it. Everyone either agreed to it or simply did not say anything / care.

I can garantee that 10 buildable galaxy in wildspace got a rather large amount of t0 resources added, and every galaxies in close proximity to it got a substantial amount. A gross estimate would be 40 galaxies gaining a major bonus out of 375 in wild space. It wont be visible everywhere, the exact locations are randomly decided according to the rules explained in the blog post.

Then theres the larger passes which affected most galaxies (about 310 or so) but added negligible amount of resources, those are the pass you are likely to see affecting your specific galaxies unless you were among the 10% affected by the 10 high concentration explosions.

It's all there is to it, theres no magic solution to the problem because theres not any actual defined problem its all subjective here. The problem that was brought to my attention was that there was not enough t0 resources in the universe. That made sense due to the increase in minimum planets per galaxy (we have way more planets than last uni even with the reduced galaxies number).

The actual amount of resources in the universe was still within what is considered "normal" by the universe generation code it only feel lower because its spread all around. In this "half arsed and over complicated method that barely made a noticeable difference" pass, 16526 resources were added to wildspace, i know you would want every galaxy you own to magically loads and plenty of everything but if it was the case everywhere then those loads and plenty would be just as worthless as a bit or a smidgen.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next