Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: BRING BACK STAR SONATA C1
deformedstar wrote:
aeljuga wrote:

If not, change owner.

Indeed, or join forces with someone who has a lot more to offer the game.

who is this other person

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Main: MeowStick
Level: 4929

sabre198 wrote:

who is this other person

Whether or not the person in question would appreciate me telling everyone who he is I do not know, so for the time being ill just say that I've raised this point with him very recently.
Hopefully something may come of it if certain parties stop being so reluctant to receive help.

Last edited by deformedstar on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:12 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Main problem I see with C2 is that it was pushed against the playerbase's desires for the sake of graphics, but the graphics are pretty horrible, which completely defeated any possible positive change C2 could have had.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 am
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Actually the main reason for c2 was because they couldn't add anything into c1 without a shit load of code work. The core code on c1 was horribly outdated and c2 is much easier to work with.

I do agree some stuff in game looks very crappy but pixel has been hard at work improving stuff step by step. 3d particle emitters are hard to make compared to 2d, though, which is likely why there's been little improvements to them so far

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:09 am
Team: Paradox
Main: Yondaime
Level: 1431

heylo wrote:
Actually the main reason for c2 was because they couldn't add anything into c1 without a shit load of code work. The core code on c1 was horribly outdated and c2 is much easier to work with.

I do agree some stuff in game looks very crappy but pixel has been hard at work improving stuff step by step. 3d particle emitters are hard to make compared to 2d, though, which is likely why there's been little improvements to them so far

That's exactly what they promised. A client where it would be easier to work with so bugs and content could be fixed/added in shorter time, but that hasn't been the case at all.

So C2 purpose has been defeated x2.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:25 am
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

I miss engine effects too. :cry:

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 am
Team: MELANIA TRUMP
Main: Renegonz
Level: 1963

I love C1 and i miss it, i could bet that a lot of old players would come back if C1 comes back

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:13 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

deformedstar wrote:
aeljuga wrote:

If not, change owner.

Indeed, or join forces with someone who has a lot more to offer the game.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm
Main: flo02
Level: 2631

MasterTrader wrote:
I miss engine effects too. :cry:

mzungu flying contrast / giga arrow zest 4 da win

Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Main: The Shaft of Discipline
Level: 3680

DarkSteel wrote:

c2 was not originally three dimensions (cough, 2.5D). The dev team was going to simply make a new client while retaining the old art style and 2d graphics. The UI was to be ultimately changed, too.

Somewhere down the road, the dev team decided to shift to "3D" and Star Sonata 2 is what they came up with. Supposedly, the dev team were swayed by a very minor, very vocal group of people who didn't actually use the forum. Bageese later admitted that the dev team would have kept SS2 2D if any of the developers had a brain because that is what the paying customers wanted. The the current dev team didn't ask the playerbase what they wanted because their heads were so far up their own asses they could see what they ate for lunch. They assumed they knew what the playerbase wanted because if you don't ask questions, you can't expect to get answers.

The people that swayed Jeff to make SS2 3D were not paying customers.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:52 pm
Main: Fleet General
Level: 3378

I don't know, I think it's just Jeff who likes it, which is why all the trailer videos are showcasing the 3D aspect of it.

Ultimately it is his game and company, if he decided against everyone's judgement that he wanted it 3D, then it'll be 3D.

I do miss the engine graphics and the blooms of colour that previously radiated from your ship if you were attacked. Similar to this: https://youtu.be/cHRyesAzcSw?t=34s

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:33 am
Contributor
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

Sadly we don't have someone on the dev team that's good at creating 3d particle effects.

I think we can all agree that the engine and weapon effects haven't gotten better since c1

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:07 am
Main: brandonTC..
Level: 3210

Hey there.

The old Indie Graphics combined with the easy and fun playstyle are what got me into this game. I devoted thousands of hours of my life to playing this game. Many of us did. One of my absolute favorite things when I was a wee F2P in 2006 was when I saw my first Adonis base firing it's mag cannon at invading low-level attackers. The Sprite was clear, crisp, perfectly particled, and conveyed everything about it's existence perfectly. Direction, relative speed, tracking. IT was simple, and beautiful. Looking back, it's one of the things that made me want to Subscribe; even if just to be able to build bases as amazing as that.

I think almost all of us agree that the Content of the game has improved, and content is easier to code and better implemented when it is. But the fact remains that the playerbase is at an all time low. I've seen some good rational responses in this thread, I'd like to ask, would simplifying the graphics in a similar fashion to how C1 used to appear be a viable option? Please discuss pros and cons with your response, and if possible, what it would take to get a movement like that in motion.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:57 pm

If you were browsing through a list of games and you saw these two screen shots, which game would you think looks more interesting? I know what I picked, so many years ago.

Attachment:
SSgood.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:07 pm

or this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next