Team: Libre Nachos
Main: Mathos
Level: 3868

Post White Screen after character selection (MacOS Sierra)
As the title suggests I managed to get SS working on my Macbook Air using the instructions details here.

I log in the just fine, and select a character but after this point the screen goes completely white. all the sounds work fine if I use my directional keys you can here my ship moving about. Any ideas?

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:49 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: White Screen after character selection (MacOS Sierra)
Hello. This may be a consequence of wine not being too good with Intel graphics cards. I've notified Jey to check in with you. In the meantime, if you are keen to get SS running you may look into putting a Windows partition on your computer using Bootcamp. It's slightly less convenient but you'll get better performance than you would through wine, and with the SSD the restart times will be quite low anyhow. Just a suggestion.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:31 pm
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

whitescreen is actually new tho. Usually when its an intel unix driver issue its garbled textures and broken looking thing but not fully white.

It's the first time i hear of a whitescreen issue on wine, im not sure on what could be the cause. How familiar are you with command line operations ?

Id like you to launch ss in a terminal to see if theres any specific wine error output that happen when your window turn white.

You could also try turning the graphic to low, see if it change anything (this would disable the post processor and shader usage). Knowing how it react would help narrowing down the source.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:01 pm

So it seems putting the settings down to low allows the game to work as-well as putting it on medium.

Should I still try to get you a reading on errors from wine?

**Edit
After a while or after clicking something to screen quadruples oddly enough so I have a really bugged copy of the screen split into four

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 am
Dev Team
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Jey123456
Level: 4359

mathos22 wrote:
So it seems putting the settings down to low allows the game to work as-well as putting it on medium.

Should I still try to get you a reading on errors from wine?

**Edit
After a while or after clicking something to screen quadruples oddly enough so I have a really bugged copy of the screen split into four

the bugged copy of the screen thing is the intel hd issue. Weve never found the precise cause or fix for mac. On linux it require updating the graphic driver kernel module using the open source version but mac do not seem to use it at all nor allow its use.

The white screen error might be caused by lack of the dll overrides provided by winetricks on linux. I am not entirely sure how to get them to work on mac tho (they normally arent needed)

The only known workaround for mac with intel graphic card, is unfortunately to dual boot and use windows to play starsonata. The issue for the garbled graphic is at the core of the rendering engine in how we upload textures (using the perfectly standard d3d9 texture format) Intel graphic card have had this issue for years on the unix driver provided by intel (the closed source one) and had it fixed for years on the open source community provided driver. Sadly Apple does not allow you to use that community driver so until either intel fix their official driver or wine implement an intel gpu specific workaround in their d3d9 code, theres nothing i can do about it.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:15 am

Alright thanks, I'll be building my computer soon enough so I'll just play SS there.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:31 am