Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Re-Programme StarSonata
Yeah, instead of this good old hodge-podge of after-thought over-code and miss-alligned core algorithyms, how about someone get payed to re-programme S.S. from the ground up in good and proper old-hat Machine-Code, fuck Direct-X, show how bloody smart you are and make your own myriad of routines to cater for all the blasted Chips there are out there competing for user-architecture dollar! That way we could finally play a game that out performs the competition and actually Frame's properly, you know, "DOUBLE BUFFER's" properly? jesus-christ, did all the so called programmers fucking FLUNK their classes or what? come-On... where's the Experts? Oh wait, none of you really know what a ROM-Kernal is, or what a Jump-Table is inside a Cache? oh FUCK, well bugger me dead, ring up Microsoft's old Boss and ask him if one of his old mates is willing to lend a tyerd FUCKING-Old helping Master-Hand to the way the games made, and ask him to make sense of this mess of non-integraded client-tripping trash and re-form it into a master-work the likes of which we havent seen since Client-1!!

Thankyou though... but for fuck-sake, I could have made it better!

/me Shrugs.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:17 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Post Re: Re-Programme StarSonata
You and uhmari should get married.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:49 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

His programming experience only works with Windows 2000.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:17 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: The Crazy Game Master
Level: 3234

Location: TARDIS, Time Vortex, Main Universe, Reality, Big Bang 2, Multiverse 1
*Approaches lazerus slowly, sensually, with nearly undetectable footsteps and whispers into his ear*

"C...Client 1 was written in C++ using DirectX too..."

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:58 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

lazerus wrote:
how about someone get payed to re-programme S.S. from the ground up in good and proper old-hat Machine-Code

Translation: psychotic keyboard warrioring is in danger of getting stale, I'm taking it to strange new places.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 am
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

As far fetched as it is, i'd be all for a ground-up remake of the game.
But i don't really know specifics about how the games current engine/code works or was created, so i can't really make an assumption that it'd be better if remade- especially if it's not done by someone, or a team, who are experienced-, not to mention SS doesn't exactly HAVE the kind of team that can just up and remake the game on a whim, that'd take a lot of time that may or may not even contribute in the long run to the overall state of the game.

Something as vast as this would be better off if and when the game gets a more respectable number of players, that way there could potentially be more people working on the game (more income, more potential staffing), so that production of a complete remake could go on alongside small content updates and fixes without making a huge impact on the flow of things.

TL;DR asking for a complete remake is insane- CURRENTLY at least,- and would delay content/fixes, and may not even really do anything significant, if not just break things more than they already are.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:15 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

describing c1 as a master work - LEL

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:07 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

SS is programmed in C++ which should be about as fast as machine code, no?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 pm

anilv wrote:

In the case of fairness and strictly speaking, no. Not even close. A pure binary implementation would be ridiculously fast, with assembly close behind, but good luck implementing DirectX, OpenGL, or the graphics engine SS uses in either of them much less developing the game if you don't have a PhD in CompSci.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

thecrazygamemaster wrote:
anilv wrote:

In the case of fairness and strictly speaking, no. Not even close. A pure binary implementation would be ridiculously fast, with assembly close behind, but good luck implementing DirectX, OpenGL, or the graphics engine SS uses in either of them much less developing the game if you don't have a PhD in CompSci.

OK sure, but for a program of this size you'll never write assembly code that is as optimized as what the C++ compiler will give you.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:12 pm

anilv wrote:
anilv wrote:

OK sure, but for a program of this size you'll never write assembly code that is as optimized as what the C++ compiler will give you.

I'm not a PhD CompSci, but... they might just be able to do it. Those people are modern archmages.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Am disappoint Laz, the real crackpots know for best results to write your code in 0s and 1s with transistors soldered onto a hand-etched PCB.

I'd say the problem with anything lower level than say c++ is code maintenance. I haven't heard of a CVS for machine or bytecode and I don't even want to think about the nightmare that would be updating / bugfixing it.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 pm
Content Dev
Team: JMC
Main: Blue Dwarf
Level: 2067

This'll be fun.

lazerus wrote:
Yeah, instead of this good old hodge-podge of after-thought over-code

Until 5 years after the new client/server... And we're still doing after-thought over-code?

Quote:
miss-alligned core algorithyms

Which is?...

Quote:
old-hat Machine-Code

Sorry, I hope you don't have an old AMD CPU because we're sticking to the x86_64 instruction set now.
I also hope you're not on 32bit.
I also hope you just happen to have the exact same feature set we do.
Also, see you in.... 50 years? Never? I'm not even sure.

Quote:
fuck Direct-X

I agree with this. But for different reasons.

Quote:
show how bloody smart you are and make your own myriad of routines to cater for all the blasted Chips there are out there

You mean.... Like a compiler?

Quote:
master-work the likes of which we havent seen since Client-1!!

We wrote C2 because doing anything in C1 was a nightmare.
C1 was, by the way, also written in C++ utilising DirectX like C2. C1 also made use of MFC, another proprietary component from Microsoft. I'm fairly certain it's pure coincidence that the client would run under wine. Now we've occasionally got better performance out of wine than we did on native windows.

Quote:
I could have made it better!

Ehh, sure.

anilv wrote:

I'm not a PhD CompSci, but... they might just be able to do it. Those people are modern archmages.

You highly overestimate the programming abilities of computer scientists (even those with PhDs). The code they write is often only for one thing; solving their problem, and it's generally badly done (from a code design point of view).

Also, writing assembly (or machine code) doesn't make it faster just by itself, you have to write it the right way and take advantage of various things. Compilers can do *insane* things to optimise your code, including reordering your program into seemingly non-nonsensical orders to make it faster.
Flexibility comes at the price of speed, that has, and always will be, the rule.

Support

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am

Blue Dwarf wrote:
You highly overestimate the programming abilities of computer scientists (even those with PhDs). The code they write is often only for one thing; solving their problem, and it's generally badly done (from a code design point of view).

Also, writing assembly (or machine code) doesn't make it faster just by itself, you have to write it the right way and take advantage of various things. Compilers can do *insane* things to optimise your code, including reordering your program into seemingly non-nonsensical orders to make it faster.
Flexibility comes at the price of speed, that has, and always will be, the rule.

I suppose I was too tired to effectively deliver the tongue-in-cheek side of those statements.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm
Main: Lykesis
Level: 1177

Sometimes the sarcasm is received, but people feel the need to respond seriously anyways to spite it. I know because i do this sometimes :P

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 am