Main: Gribbens
Level: 38

Post Re: The SS Economy/Game is Suffering (ranting)
MasterTrader wrote:

So, other than resetting the server (Which is just not going to happen for reasons that are beyond my control), what do you suggest?[/color]

I have not suggested wiping the server even once. I suggest a new server where old players stay doing their thing on the old server if they want, and new players (or old ones wanting to start fresh) can explore their own way into the universe.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:19 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

TheWhiteSpark wrote:
MasterTrader wrote:

So, other than resetting the server (Which is just not going to happen for reasons that are beyond my control), what do you suggest?[/color]

I have not suggested wiping the server even once. I suggest a new server where old players stay doing their thing on the old server if they want, and new players (or old ones wanting to start fresh) can explore their own way into the universe.

Yes, but we don't have enough players to make that a viable system right now. If we suddenly had 1000 new p2p who were planning to stick around for a couple years at least, then the picture would be entirely different.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

and the most important question how long in your opinion should that server last before the third? and the fourth?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: DreadLordNaf
Level: 12667

TheWhiteSpark wrote:
However, most MMOs have new servers opening on a fairly consistent schedule to counter this. EVE is the largest exception, but is an exception in basically every sense of the word when it comes to MMOs. Most other MMOrpgs introduce a new server every few years at a minimum, based on how many players they have flowing into the game or how quickly "level cap" or its equivalent is reached.

Im thinking you haven't played a lot of mmos recently since you seem to be leaving out the vast majority of MMO where the opposite happens, server merges, where they get rid of servers because not enough players to keep those servers alive game-play wise.

Off the top of my head Lord of the rings online, warhammer, archeage, rift, eq2, even WoW had to undergo server merges and in many cases if not handled well they end up being very destructive to the playerbase. There are probably dozens of other mmos that have had to do that. One of the worst things by far you can do to an MMO community is: 1) open up a new server for no other reason than to give players a "fresh start" then; 2) promptly discontinue it and merge it into another one six months later due to not having enough people to support a healthy playerbase on either..

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 pm
Main: Gribbens
Level: 38

dreadlordnaf wrote:

Im thinking you haven't played a lot of mmos recently since you seem to be leaving out the vast majority of MMO where the opposite happens, server merges, where they get rid of servers because not enough players to keep those servers alive game-play wise.

Off the top of my head Lord of the rings online, warhammer, archeage, rift, eq2, even WoW had to undergo server merges and in many cases if not handled well they end up being very destructive to the playerbase. There are probably dozens of other mmos that have had to do that. One of the worst things by far you can do to an MMO community is: 1) open up a new server for no other reason than to give players a "fresh start" then; 2) promptly discontinue it and merge it into another one six months later due to not having enough people to support a healthy playerbase on either..

I play lots, but thats not really important.

All the MMOs you listed were declining in server pop, so they had to merge. Games that have already reached a small but stable server population are a different story.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Another important note is that we don't want to be just another MMO. Star Sonata has a long history of bucking the trend. That doesn't mean that we refuse to adopt common sense practices, but think about it for a second: how many people would stick with SS if it were just a WoW clone?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:15 am