Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Re: Make Terraforming BP give a perminent item.
Pixel wrote:
sabre198 wrote:
if you make them unequippable yes.

I do hope you understand the implications of such a action where movable terraform(s) is a thing?

Things I see is killing the terraforming market and building terraforms obsolete with movable base to base option.

If its the latter that just un-equipping them is required then why (base-bound)?

Ok, pixel, i adore you to pieces, but that paragraph was incomprehensible. The entire point of the terraformers being item form is i can pick them up and take them with me at the end of the uni. Why would i want them basebound? The reason i suggested fuel was to offset the objections to having to build only one set of terraformers and carry them uni after uni after uni.

Pixel wrote:
Here's a example of the issue, the item should disappear into the base but remains as a item currently. Suit isn't affected when equip either.

terraform_commodity.webm

Well, half right. I want the item NOT disappearing, but consuming fuel, like a Energy but for suitability. Also, that is considerably smaller then i was thinking, i want them to be uni carried, but not easily uni carried, you ought to need a levi for these things.

that said, my profound thanks Pixel, beautifully done!.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

sadly when people can buy everlasting gobstoppers it fucks the sweet market

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

We are definitely not going to turn terraforming into a reusable base item.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:35 am
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

Why not? Seems like a good idea to me.

Increase the build cost of the terraforming item. Make it require fuel (Maybe even special fuel like psionic icicles for cooling the weather etc.), large in size, and unequipable. But the moment you unequip it the planet drops the bonus suit.

Gives noobs a bit of a fighting chance to get in on the colonies because they surely won't be able to find too many good planets nor have all the resources that larger teams have to harbor rich colonies.

Mon May 01, 2017 7:14 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Tron20 wrote:
Why not? Seems like a good idea to me.

Increase the build cost of the terraforming item. Make it require fuel (Maybe even special fuel like psionic icicles for cooling the weather etc.), large in size, and unequipable. But the moment you unequip it the planet drops the bonus suit.

Gives noobs a bit of a fighting chance to get in on the colonies because they surely won't be able to find too many good planets nor have all the resources that larger teams have to harbor rich colonies.

How does creating an item that can be lost once you build it give noobs a fighting chance? The current system is a lot more noob friendly, not to mention that ICs are designed as the primary passive income system for those who are not familiar with colonies.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon May 01, 2017 7:24 am
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

TL;DR P2P gets a permanent bonus to colonies that renders Terraforming moot. All i am asking is that those who have to terraform also get a permanent bonus, at least until they no longer need it.

anilv wrote:
How does creating an item that can be lost once you build it give noobs a fighting chance? The current system is a lot more noob friendly, not to mention that ICs are designed as the primary passive income system for those who are not familiar with colonies.

Enk, that is a non sequiter. We all know that nobody buys Sub prior to 1k. This is so prevalent that normal people actually get very surprised when they see non 1k roaming WS. Hell, the entire reason you REMOVED W1 gals from ws is that nobody below 1k is supposed to be up there.

Which in turn means that IC which are WS exclusive cannot be for sub 1k players, as they would not have access to them.

Now, while some of us can crash level in a couple of weeks, others have IRL obligations ad cannot level so fast. A player with a full time job might take 2-3 unis to reach 1k. So they are going to need income. AS F2P.

Further, with the current mechanics, they only people who have any reason to USE terraforming are F2P. The Col Admin boost is so strong that half the planets you find are suitable 100 at level 1k colo admin. Without it, you have to terraform, or the only worlds that are viable are Normal, Temp, Terran. Now, even a 15 percent boost makes a low temp terran viable, and two 15's and a 5 makes a viable colony as well. But look at the requierments for that.

3.5 million space whiskey, 6 million Boababs and a couple of dozen factory parts? In the first week of a uni? On EF layer? Or 15k fembots, 15k grav controllers, 10K Cyborgs, and nearly a billion credits? If i am spending a billion credits on something before tech 20, you darn skippy i expect to keep it.

Before i hear one word about "Just go P2P", this game is going onto steam (unless you want to admit that was botched) and is going onto steam as a F2P game (unless that has changed). If people get here and get told "If you want to advance, you have to pay" you think they are going to stay? That's funny, I liked that. No enk, they are going to leave in droves and write horrible reviews on the way out.

Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 pm

anilv wrote:

Then please show us how the current system for colonies is "noob" friendly when they require a considerable amount of funding and resources and time to start one up.

And if you don't know what you're doing, ...which we are talking about noobs in this case and there are no tutorials for creating and maintaining colonies, while guides leave out some useful information....your not going to get a lot of profit in return especually if you're doing it mid or late into the uni.

Not saying give them an easy button for colonies because if this were implemented, it still would not be easy for them. This is also something for us high levels too. I would just very much like to be able to keep something that I have to pour a lot of materials and time into.

While ICs are the primary source, noobs/smaller teams will be competing against more experienced and larger teams for sales in nearby AI stations but admititly everyone can cash in on it.

Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

It would be nice to have two tiers of terraforming projects. The first tier requiring less material, but takes longer to build. The second tier takes a lot more resources, but builds fast and can be equipped to a base.

The equipped tier 2 project can be knocked off the base if it dies. Hopefully this will discourage T1 boosters if you choose to go this route.

Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

the fixed item should be of trivial cost and the item should need to be fuelled constantly throughout the uni at a rate that is a function of the DF and and exponent of the % bonus. So for example to get high bonus ina high df on a grav controller project would need a lot of grav controllers supplied in througout. whereas a noob could get the same high % in a low df for a much lower feed in.

Tue May 02, 2017 3:28 am
Profile WWW

For colonies, considering the vast potential profit you can make. 400m on average before prom or colony commods. It would make zero sense to try to fight over any kind of high DF galaxies and instead hug the rim with easily defended galaxies because all you need to do is have anti-pvb interior gals and 10 major bases on the exterior to shrug off bvb.

So what is a reasonable amount of space for a small team? 10 to 15 odd galaxies...let's see, I'm getting 160 planets over a 15 galaxy area. Assuming the team picks up even half of that in colonies, we're looking at 32b/day and thus ~3.2tril a universe. And this is 6 fortified exterior galaxies?

Buying stuff off the market, 15 galaxies with 5 ada T20s each with typical lower end anti-bvb augs will run up about 600b. But considering this is low DF and we're talking about hugging the rim low DF, that's a substantial amount of profit...

Tue May 02, 2017 4:10 am

where are they all then?

Tue May 02, 2017 6:38 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
where are they all then?

SS is dead, long live the Curse.

Joking aside, I would say massive upfront costs from going from 0 factories to something like 100 of each, serious peasant storage requirements of like 80 Spheres (or more), large scale character network (each person needs at least three characters imo), and coordination; you've seen how most noobs operate, they tend to not work together unless they *have* to.

Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 pm
over 9000!

sabre198 wrote:
the fixed item should be of trivial cost and the item should need to be fuelled constantly throughout the uni at a rate that is a function of the DF and and exponent of the % bonus. So for example to get high bonus ina high df on a grav controller project would need a lot of grav controllers supplied in througout. whereas a noob could get the same high % in a low df for a much lower feed in.

This ties in rather nicely with a system I have been passively working on for years. I will see if I can kick it into gear.

Tue May 02, 2017 4:48 pm

sabre198 wrote:

I like that. Only two things about it though:

1) Not sure if it should scale based on DF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the chance of 100% suit planets doesn't increase with DF.

2) The logistics for this sort of thing would be hell since there's already a lot of trade bot slots involved in: supplying team systems and stations (Mainly proddy), and IC trade networks if you're meticulous about it, and colony trades.

In saying that though, I don't want to let go of the idea of the terraforming devices needing special kinds of fuel to keep it going depending on what it does.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:18 am
Profile WWW

1. definitely should be more expensive to do terrafroming in dangerous parts of the galaxy, there are generally better quality planets in high df already. so the few % they need needs to be relatively expensive. you have to be careful that the costs doesnt wipe out profits. aim for 25% where at the moment its 0% tax.

2. making passive income should take a commitment to infrastructure. If people want to do both IC's and colos they are going to need a very developed MFM infrastructure.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 am
Profile WWW