Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: TheShaftofDiscipline
Level: 3180

Post Thanks
Just wanted to thank whatever dev increased the IC max inventory on AI bases, makes super easy to make credits again.

Also, t16+ extractors, makes it that much easier for ICs too.

Made 300b in in an hour yesterday and stopped selling them cause I got bored.

A big thank you.

Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Thanks
You are welcome. If more players showed initiative like that the credits would be spread more equitably. Sometimes it is nice to be an early adopter.

It is worth noting that all the credits you earned this way are through arbitrage, i.e. exploiting inefficiencies in the market. If the industrialists were smarter with how they routed their ICs, they would be cashing in on those credits directly.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Thick Black Long Coffee
Level: 4536

Was being sarcastic, but okay.

I think being able to make this much credit this fast is terrible for the economy

Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 pm
over 9000!

Again, you earned those credits through arbitrage. The alternative was for them to be distributed directly to the industrialists who made the ICs. What you are perceiving as a credit source is in fact a credit sink, because the server skims off the top.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Wed May 10, 2017 1:31 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Ununoctium
Level: 5960

anilv wrote:
Again, you earned those credits through arbitrage. The alternative was for them to be distributed directly to the industrialists who made the ICs. What you are perceiving as a credit source is in fact a credit sink, because the server skims off the top.

Well, no. The producer still makes money selling to AI bases. Then shaft comes and skims off extra money by selling to unused bases. I wouldn't call potential to make even more credits a credit sink.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

the alternative was for the credits to stay on the ai base as nobody could be bothered with IC's it seems except this guy. Calling a tax a sink is a bit of a strech :) the server couldnt skim off the top if he didnt do the arbitrage.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

The Salty One wrote:
Well, no. The producer still makes money selling to AI bases. Then shaft comes and skims off extra money by selling to unused bases. I wouldn't call potential to make even more credits a credit sink.

The "extra" money could have been earned directly by the producer if they had routed their ICs more efficiently. It's like someone taking 15% of Trevor's colony profits and blaming the devs for sourcing more credits.

sabre198 wrote:
the alternative was for the credits to stay on the ai base as nobody could be bothered with IC's it seems except this guy. Calling a tax a sink is a bit of a strech the server couldnt skim off the top if he didnt do the arbitrage.

Or another alternative was for the producer to route their ICs more efficiently and earn those credits directly. See above.

--

Or to take a systems view of things, every IC is constantly being consumed by AI bases. There is no AI base that produces ICs. Moreover, the server taxes every IC transaction. This means that there's nowhere in the system for credits to be generated beyond the initial purchase.

Unlike colonies, IC credit sourcing is bounded by a single number: the total extraction volume in the universe. We have set up the pricing so that maximum credit sourcing is at a desirable level. Any credits you earn by manually trading between AI bases (as opposed to extracting commodities and manufacturing ICs) are less than zero-sum, so it's not possible for that source of credits to contribute to inflation.

Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

I...
Ok, hypothetical: for whatever reasons it's not possible for the IC creator to route their commods any more efficiently. They aren't set up for 100% efficiency but mechanics such as galaxy ownership, wars, trade slave programming, trade slave slots mean that within their means this is the maximum efficiency they are capable of.

Shaft comes along and does his arbitrage thing.

This does or does not result in a net increase in credits in game?

Thu May 11, 2017 11:55 am
over 9000!

iwnh01 wrote:
I...
Ok, hypothetical: for whatever reasons it's not possible for the IC creator to route their commods any more efficiently. They aren't set up for 100% efficiency but mechanics such as galaxy ownership, wars, trade slave programming, trade slave slots mean that within their means this is the maximum efficiency they are capable of.

Shaft comes along and does his arbitrage thing.

This does or does not result in a net increase in credits in game?

Less than would have been sourced if the ICs had been routed more efficiently. The IC economy is designed to work as a credit source even under maximum efficiency of trading. Any inefficiencies that arise due to diplomacy, wars, or player error can only reduce the volume of the credit source. The presence of arbitrage (i.e. manual trading) cannot fully compensate for these inefficiencies. Therefore, arbitrage (even in large volumes like the one reported by the OP) does not represent a threat to the SS economy.

Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: TheShaftofDiscipline
Level: 3180

300b per hour of inefficient trading, i can become stinking rich off that

Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 am