Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: TheShaftofDiscipline
Level: 3180

Post Make teams smaller
So, there are 2-3 large teams in game now with massive player/account base. Nobody contests anything anymore because there is too much sheer defenses to go through.

Player competitiveness is left to large teams steamrolling smaller teams.

I personally miss the days where groups of 4-6 players could come eye to eye with large teams because of size restrictions.

Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

Post Re: Make teams smaller
Unless you're on a reasonably sized team this feels like a solo game. A solo game where you can't progress because content is balanced around it not being a solo game.
If you can address those points I might support your suggestion.

Sat May 27, 2017 11:15 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

reyjalrmm wrote:
So, there are 2-3 large teams in game now with massive player/account base. Nobody contests anything anymore because there is too much sheer defenses to go through.

I personally miss the days where groups of 4-6 players could come eye to eye with large teams because of size restrictions.

Where have you been? There were tons of Wild Space battles last universe. I don't agree with the assessment that "nobody contests anything anymore."

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

anilv wrote:
reyjalrmm wrote:

Where have you been? There were tons of Wild Space battles last universe. I don't agree with the assessment that "nobody contests anything anymore."

And this uni.

Sat May 27, 2017 1:24 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Smaller teams?

Death Mental + Torchwood were the same team.

Eminence Front + Eminence Back were the same team.

Strawberry + Blueberry were the same team.

TFC + TUC were the same team.

Zephyr + CPB were the same team.

Sat May 27, 2017 1:44 pm
over 9000!

Max235 wrote:
Smaller teams?

Death Mental + Torchwood were the same team.

Eminence Front + Eminence Back were the same team.

Strawberry + Blueberry were the same team.

TFC + TUC were the same team.

Zephyr + CPB were the same team.

TR and DT as well.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Sun May 28, 2017 8:32 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Exactly. If you physically reduce the size of a team or force a team to split (DM was asked by Voomy to downsize), then the team will just make *more* teams, which is even worse. Because now instead of attacking from one direction, they can legally attack from two or more directions.

Sun May 28, 2017 10:20 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

Max235 wrote:
Exactly. If you physically reduce the size of a team or force a team to split (DM was asked by Voomy to downsize), then the team will just make *more* teams, which is even worse. Because now instead of attacking from one direction, they can legally attack from two or more directions.

That, and a top team has 3 teams on the leaderboard now instead of one, further decreasing the ability of an up-start to get onto the leaderboard. Also, unless you decrease teams to like 1/7 of their size so they're not large enough to expand this means that a team like Traders, EF, etc... now gets more people because under a new system 2 or three Traders subsidiaries would be able to hold more than 1 Traders today.

And while I do miss seeing junior teams from the big ones, they're not worth their consequences. If you recall, SP and BP were usually sitting right next to eachother on the scoreboard, so it's not like having smaller teams made more competition, it just allowed to SP to control more of the top scores.

Sun May 28, 2017 6:09 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: TheShaftofDiscipline
Level: 3180

I still feel teams are much too big though.

There has been some action this uni, for sure, but what I've seen was basically larger teams stomping on smaller teams, unless I've missed something?

I mean, on larger teams there are 518 characters on Traders, 409 on EF, 329 on SRX, 428 on Zephyr, 346 on RE.

Smaller ones: 94 on TBF, 98 on Steele Piraten, 169 on DSF

I do not remember what the game was limited at before the team level system came in, but I think having 300+ characters on a team excessive.

Even if team do try to make double teams like they did in the past, I still feel there was a greater variety of teams to choose from and a much stronger community as far as player interactions came. At least limiting team sizes promotes people not to do it.

Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Not to mention the team skill that gives more player slots has been broken for ages. You can make your team infinitely huge from the moment you create it.

Mon May 29, 2017 1:06 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

reyjalrmm wrote:
I still feel teams are much too big though.

There has been some action this uni, for sure, but what I've seen was basically larger teams stomping on smaller teams, unless I've missed something?

I mean, on larger teams there are 518 characters on Traders, 409 on EF, 329 on SRX, 428 on Zephyr, 346 on RE.

Smaller ones: 94 on TBF, 98 on Steele Piraten, 169 on DSF

I do not remember what the game was limited at before the team level system came in, but I think having 300+ characters on a team excessive.

Even if team do try to make double teams like they did in the past, I still feel there was a greater variety of teams to choose from and a much stronger community as far as player interactions came. At least limiting team sizes promotes people not to do it.

I do think that is a bit of misleading statistic. I can't speak for any other team, but I know in the case of SRX, we have many more developed alts than you'll find on a smaller team where people have only 1 or 2 viable characters. For SRX I have personally leveled around 12 characters (both mine and others') to around 1k or higher in the last month, which is something you're not going to see on smaller teams. That doesn't necessarily make smaller teams less diverse though. Because for me, 1 person = 15 playable characters, where TBF, DSF, or Seele one person might average out to less than 2.

I get where you're coming from, but I think you're ignoring a lot of the smaller teams. By that I mean look in FM and Ring. There are more small thriving teams in the game now than ever before. Back in 06 when I started there were only 7 teams that mattered, all others were not real options, and basically just amounted to people spamming invites in the Nexus. Now small teams are viable, more often than not when I see a player break from a team (large or small) I'm generally surprised to see that they don't actually move onto a top 5 team, and usually end up patronizing and developing smaller teams.

I mean shit Klestiko just joined Seele. He could have joined literally any team in the game, and he's on a small one, helping do content on a seer, we also just recently saw Freakachu and Hober end up with DSF, and Communists is an incredibly small team with a stellar lineup of players so anyone who thinks that it's not viable is crazy.

There's also the matter of outdated rosters, if SRX purged our over 3 month inactives right now we'd probably have half of what we do now if I'm being generous. Small teams haven't really had enough time to build up those massive character lists like older teams have.

Small teams are not as disadvantaged as you're making them out to be (except for maybe in ownership potential), they're typically just as diverse, and usually capable of most content in the game. They are however still developing, give Seele or DSF another year and a modest level of success and they'll look very much like SRX or EF now.

Mon May 29, 2017 3:12 pm
Main: Almighty Pixel
Level: 4

Had this talk on Discord and I'm for this suggestion, smaller teams would force players to split more often (this assumes team slots is based off characters and not accounts).

What was concluded from the talk was:
- Probably end up with one player teams (multi-account).
- Same player is spread across multiple teams (multi-account).
- Players will form many more alliances.
- Teams would only be able to own up to 4 galaxies each roughly.
- Deploy-able perm drones would be much more restricted (prevents spamming).

Tue May 30, 2017 1:51 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Uh 4 gals sounds no bueno.

Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Better idea ; Everyone scream at (insert relevent dev here) to get the steam release done so we have more players and thus several large teams.

Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 am
over 9000!

Artificially breaking up teams would not accomplish anything. This was proven beyond doubt in the old days (2010-2012) when most endgame groups were running 1-2 additional alt teams. It just makes it more difficult to coordinate with the people you want to play with (although that wouldn't be too bad anymore since everyone has finally adopted third-party chat systems).

If you want people to naturally arrange themselves into smaller groups, you need to INCENTIVIZE that behavior. You cannot accomplish it by fiat. At this stage in the game, most long-time players have formed extensive social networks and would have little interest in abandoning them. It seems quite infeasible to incentivize this behavior change among current players.

This is why I'll echo Rendghast's statement that the only thing that might help move the game in this direction is the Steam release.

Wed May 31, 2017 7:55 am