over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Make Biologique BvBable
So, what if we made Bio impossible to own and also made stations actually blow up instead of entering destroyed mode in that galaxy?

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 am
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

That actually sounds cool. Although that would be kind of cruel to do if people were using Ada/Armada gear vice XYZ gear.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:44 pm
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
That actually sounds cool. Although that would be kind of cruel to do if people were using Ada/Armada gear vice XYZ gear.

It would be their decision whether to deploy that gear there. It's not like I'm proposing to make bases pop in any other galaxy.

I kind of like the idea of this gal being Hardcore mode for bases, as it's all about advanced Station Management, after all.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 pm
Main: ShawnMcCall
Level: 2589

anilv wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

It would be their decision whether to deploy that gear there. It's not like I'm proposing to make bases pop in any other galaxy.

I kind of like the idea of this gal being Hardcore mode for bases, as it's all about advanced Station Management, after all.

No reason to make it hardcore. You're talking about a t20 skill. Contestable is really the only box that needs to be checked tbh.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 pm
over 9000!

ShawnMcCall wrote:
anilv wrote:
ShawnMcCall wrote:

No reason to make it hardcore. You're talking about a t20 skill. Contestable is really the only box that needs to be checked tbh.

Hardcore in the sense that your bases blow up.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Higaran Leader
Level: 3209

anilv wrote:

But you also said unownable. So unless you add more than one T20 source in Bio, it could easily end up becoming a constantly contested location (Likely slowing output of the T20 commod), or another base slot sink system.

Don't make it anymore complicated than it should be. Just make it contestable by moving it to Wild Space with it having multiple arms. And maybe do the same for places like XYZ and the lot.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

Tron20 wrote:
anilv wrote:

But you also said unownable. So unless you add more than one T20 source in Bio, it could easily end up becoming a constantly contested location (Likely slowing output of the T20 commod), or another base slot sink system.

Don't make it anymore complicated than it should be. Just make it contestable by moving it to Wild Space with it having multiple arms. And maybe do the same for places like XYZ and the lot.

I doubt it would be constantly contested. Once one faction defends the gal to a high enough standard, it won't be worth anyone else's time and resources to try to knock them off. Of course, we might start seeing a higher defense standard in Bio than we're used to, but I don't think this is a problem at all.

And on a more basic level, what would be wrong with Bio being constantly contested, anyway (not that I think it would be)? From a dev team perspective, there is nothing wrong with slowing the output of the SM 20 commod, as long as it remains contestable by interested parties. Our goal isn't particularly to make progression as streamlined as possible.

By the way, what do you mean by "another base slot sink system?"

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:54 am

anilv wrote:
By the way, what do you mean by "another base slot sink system?"

Basically another Free Market or Ring system where everyone rushes to deploy as many kits as possible to max out the system's slots..

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Eh, it could be worthwhile making Bio contestable by force of will, the problem is that it becomes a land grab. Whoever finds it first and have ada kits on demand is whoever holds it. Even if it's unowned, people don't go after 15+ ada kit galaxies willy nilly. Higher defense standards would be cool so as long as there is a constant threat, be in by enemy teams or enemy AI, to force it. Especially if such AI can outlast you.

Basically, what I'm seeing is first team to get 15 kits down (not hard with 3 SDs) controls it. At Traders/EF level, to dislodge 15 kits, you need 30 kits, and to dislodge 30 kits you need 60-75, which at that point you're effectively one volleying ada kits.

If you own the galaxy, then all you need to do is wait 12 hours and the enemy's kits abandon. If the galaxy is unowned, then it becomes a stalemate as *nothing* gets done, until you escalate things. So while technically the galaxy can be contested, the only people who can contest it are EF or Traders.

So if you want Bio to be contestable, you need the ever looming threat of termites *and* multiple teams willing to fight for it *and* bases go pop for good.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:53 pm

^I'll agree to that then.

Although I still would like to play with the idea of it being a system in Wild Space so that it can be open to being controlled by other teams rather than being contested by the strongest one or two teams in SS.

For example said strong teams may settle on one side of Wild Space, but Bio ends up being on the other side. Then the only way for them to take it would be to either expand towards it or drop an outpost.

Although we may find ourselves in the same situation: A fortified location. But in this case it is no longer a place that can't be contested but rather, a place no one is willing to contest. At least, until a war starts and then the attacking team can maybe have a crack at it.

This at least being able to contest it to the table rather than not being able to do a thing at all. I'd go so far as to say it's probably the easier thing to code too.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 am
Profile WWW
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

I would personally do this:

1. Galaxy cannot be owned, but you need an adjacent owned galaxy to place bases in it. With 8 or so adjacent galaxies, you can see something in the range of 5 teams that can actively contest the galaxy. Being unowned, you can deploy Small Warp Beacons.

2. Teams are limited to a maximum of 5 bases and 10 drones. Teams are auto aggro to one another and the base/drone owners cannot be on a squad with owners from other teams. This is to prevent alt teams from unfairly boosting the firepower of one side.

3. The sun (or whatever) grants a very significant firepower and shield *bank* buff to bases. Ships (aka players) and bases have nerfed range. Normal BVB is upwards of 10k distance until bases close to pulse range. Bio is actually about 2k distance across. I want the battles to be much closer together, which makes it easier for a team to set up an attack and commence an attack.

4. Termites are a constant threat and there are always 1+ mounds. This is a DF250 gal. You have a chance for Legendary Termites. The termites use the Bio/Emp Bio timetable so they build up and attack much quicker. Coinciding an attack alongside termites zerging someone's bases is a good idea.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 am