Post Re: Dev Blog – New Modification System in Progress
Death to legacy players!

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:31 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

anilv wrote:
There will be Primary mods for all of those stats. Primaries are being designed to be valuable enough that most legacy gear will be improved by rerolling into the new system. There will be a few exceptions to this, but those will be smoothed over with the passage of time as new, higher tech gear is released.

ty, might it be possible to get a mod which increases bolt speed? not firing speed, the speed of the projectile?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:52 pm
Main: Mow
Level: 9759

As if what you clowns did to the hull bonuses for Combat Focus this universe was bad enough, you're now going to fuck us over even more by screwing over modifications that give us more space.

If you've got Recon focus in mind for this, why don't you also have Combat Focus in mind as well? Revert the cancerous change that was made to hull bonuses from equipped items on Combat Focus classes back to the way it was for over 7 years while you're at it.

Also, the playerbase is not that gullible to believe the reason you're doing this is to "make it easier for the newer players" because the system as it is right now is incredibly simple to get your head around. Items have modifications, they add bonuses. You can use a commodity called Bindomite to add these modifications to items. What you're proposing AGAIN is to make things far more complicated than they already are.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:33 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Radio gear was propping up the piss poor energies in this game. Let me guess you will have to choose all energy primaries to be able to just simply power a mfbot.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

sabre198 wrote:
Radio gear was propping up the piss poor energies in this game. Let me guess you will have to choose all energy primaries to be able to just simply power a mfbot.

Powering a MF bot :lul:

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:50 am

why can't u use those anymore?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

sabre198 wrote:
why can't u use those anymore?

Because hober takes away our nice things.

Real answer: Hober added +50% electric tempering to all mf bots

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Tomzta09 wrote:
Also, the playerbase is not that gullible to believe the reason you're doing this is to "make it easier for the newer players" because the system as it is right now is incredibly simple to get your head around.

You are missing the point. The Bindo system is easy to UNDERSTAND but it's not easy to COMPETE in. Endgame players have a huge advantage over new players in this modification system. We are lowering the barrier to entry, not the level of cognition required. You will still use Bindomite to apply the first Primary mod, but then you will be able to reroll the mod using just credits and pretty quickly land on the mod that you want. Meanwhile, endgame players with a lot of spare credits will keep on rolling in hopes of improving the % bonus on that mod into the elite range.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Also average Joe players don't bindo like endgame players. To take DarkSteel for an example, the Titan Radar is an average T20 Radar. Assuming a person has Radar 20+, you'd expect them to use something like a Twisted Eyeball Radar thingy. But DarkSteel has the funds to purchase all the bindo he needs to that perfectly modded Titan Radar is actually *better* than your high end Twisted Radar because the Twisted one has like Composite + Intelligent. The Titan has 5 mods: Evil, Resonating, Radio, SI, and Trans (it started out as Titan Radar** SI and Trans before bindo)

When you take that into consideration, you can see how I came to my conclusion that mods are bone headedly powerful. With straight Titan Gear, you can get a zerk to have 110k DPS, at 1600 range, sustain it for 20 seconds, have 225k shields, 25k energy, and 2500 elect. Your engine is underwhelming but it's doable.

Titan+ gear bumps those numbers to 140k dps, 1800 range, 30 second sustain, 250k+ shields, 30k energy, and 3000 elect *before panels*. Engine is still underwhelming. 3k elect on a fuelless low end energy. 250k shields on a 15k bank shield.

To put it into perspective, my sniper with the same augs and better gear (Emp T20 and T21 Olympus), greater base shield amount, and much more class based damage modifiers, I get at SA100 about 100k dps with the same Titan+ weapon at less than half the shields, and not much more range. I get 1200 elect.

And this is an AI base bought setup?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Blizzara
Level: 6660

Nah wise ones tend to have something like Solarian Scanner or Antu Samvitalocana with almost perfect mods.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 am

Doesnt seem like a good PR strategy to release a scare story with no details or stats. you've done this before then refused to provide any stats examples of how the player base was supposedly better off which further made players angry. I know I know... we can scan traders bases/ships for an example and that doing so would be an act of war..chortle..tee hee. whoops there goes another third.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:06 am
Profile WWW

Antilzah wrote:
Nah wise ones tend to have something like Solarian Scanner or Antu Samvitalocana with almost perfect mods.

You've got 30 perfectly modded Solarian Scanners for 30 alts?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:18 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

sabre198 wrote:
Doesnt seem like a good PR strategy to release a scare story with no details or stats. you've done this before then refused to provide any stats examples of how the player base was supposedly better off which further made players angry. I know I know... we can scan traders bases/ships for an example and that doing so would be an act of war..chortle..tee hee. whoops there goes another third.

Thanks for the PR tip, buzzy. We deliberated which way to go and decided that dumping a bunch of new stats at the same time as announcing a paradigm shift would lead to a highly disorganized discussion thread. I'm a little surprised by the lack of response from the community so far, but we will let this run a bit longer and field any questions that arise.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 am

anilv wrote:
I'm a little surprised by the lack of response from the community so far, but we will let this run a bit longer and field any questions that arise.

For the most part, people know mods are crazy powerful, don't abuse Weapon Hold and modded weapons, and don't like it when someone who has more money to burn in credit sinks can double or triple the sustained dps of their setups before adding Imperial Skills, Kalthi Skills, and or Augmenter Tweaking. Also people find that the tankiest setups somehow have more dps than dedicated dps setups because of 50 Evil mods to be absolute bullshit.

So there's not many people who disagree with the upcoming changes.

For the people who do abuse the Weapon Hold thing, or bindo cheap ass items to get perfect mods (like who has enough Twisted Dragon Eye Radar things to have perfect mods?), they KNOW it's dumbass powerful.

So far I have only come across one single person that wholeheartedly disagrees with the changes.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:47 pm
Contributor
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Everyone I've encouraged to come discuss the topic in this thread has no interest in anything other than stats and ETA.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 pm