Team: Soup
Main: Prolex
Level: 2240

Post T19 Ships and Ship Choice in General
Heya,

I feel as though these new end-game ships for F2P, although nice, seem a little bit too easy to produce and sell (thus are cheap and easy to obtain)--both for their quality, and relative to their counterparts. If any, take the Testudo (~500m) as an example, it looks to be an unrivaled ship for F2P support classes and doesn't really even have a counterpart.

Surely the blueprints for these ships should be harder to obtain than paying ~50m at an AI base, for infinite uses and mass-produced at a rather modest build cost? E.g. The EFBS, undoubtedly a Fleet Commander end-game ship for F2P, is practically overshadowed by the much cheaper and hardly worse alternative (EF Overload Prototype), which I believe was meant for Gunners.

It is nice that new ships of lower techs are added to the game, but I do believe that they are, as F2P end-game ships, too unchallenging to produce and obtain. Perhaps this could be a chance to make use of other components of this game (e.g. an extension of the police missions as an alternate path for the Marshal blueprint, which could involve rather neglected items such as Blue Bullets Omega, Space Blue Delta Fighters, and perhaps make a new roaming Blue AIs or even an uber as a required kill to liven up space).

All in all, I'm sure there are ways to liven up the experience of acquiring an end-game ship, while adding new content or involving 'filler' or old content to intensify the experience beyond grinding DGs for money--then "/ap"-ing to Free Market to buy your mass produced end-game ship for 500m, which is hardly a task nowadays--for both F2P and P2P. I'm aware that this would not be a priority in the grand scheme of things within SS, but I feel it would be nice to consider more of the middling techs at some point too, especially before any Steam release. Less new F2P would be willing to go P2P if they aren't interested anymore by the time they reach end-game F2P.

Last edited by prolex on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:49 am
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Maxathron
Level: 4065

Post Re: T19 Ships and Stuff
The Testudo was created back in 2012, intended as a rival to T20 Support Freighters at the time without being too powerful. The stats on the ship and the hidden stats on the Overloader are great and all, but the ship is T19. Prowess augs only. It is roughly in between a Pax Astro and a Rhino in terms of overall power.

The Marshal, Cherub, and EFOP are cheap T19 ships made to add variety to the game.

The Hotrod Ultimate is a cool travel ship for P2ps, as its original intention was to be bought on P2p-land when all P2ps would have P20+ and probably afford a Panther.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:58 am
Team: Soup
Main: Prolex
Level: 2240

Max235 wrote:
The Testudo was created back in 2012, intended as a rival to T20 Support Freighters at the time without being too powerful. The stats on the ship and the hidden stats on the Overloader are great and all, but the ship is T19. Prowess augs only. It is roughly in between a Pax Astro and a Rhino in terms of overall power.

Nowadays F2P have access to P19 as well, surely a change in times would account for slight readjustments of previous content, if suboptimal?

Max235 wrote:
The Marshal, Cherub, and EFOP are cheap T19 ships made to add variety to the game.

It does add more options, which is great, but should they not be balanced with pre-existing options? The EFOP (a ship for Gunners, I believe) is much cheaper than the EFBS (FC), with little to no setbacks, so you see even FCs preferring the EFOP over EFBS. Its niche is extending over to outcompete the EFBS as an option, even for FCs, that reduces EFBS relevance.

Aside from this, should the cost curve of ships not increase towards higher techs? The Wingship V costs 618.5M from Ruby Steppes, a Cherub would in no way cost more than 500m to produce, and is only sold for more due to sellers' mark-ups. Is there reason to adding new ships (variety), that nobody will want to use? (e.g. Crawl Wyrm, T16 and costs 10B+ to produce). Yes it exists as an option, but is it ever chosen? Hardly. There are very many ships in game, but it is always the select few you always see dominating player choice.

The addition of ship tech upgrades likely came with the very same intention of adding variety, by promoting the usage of lower tech ships upgraded to the desired tech so that they'd be relevant at higher levels too. By adding a fool-proof go-to all-purpose ship that is cheaper than most alternatives, variety is effectively reduced, as players would see no reason to not opt for that ship. This holds true for F2P at the very least.

Max235 wrote:
The Hotrod Ultimate is a cool travel ship for P2ps, as its original intention was to be bought on P2p-land when all P2ps would have P20+ and probably afford a Panther.

I have no problems over this, as I believe the ship was not intended for F2P to begin with. This ship is the counterpart of other travel ships like you said: as a cheaper travel ship alternative to a Panther.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 am

Surely the dev team would take note and do what is needed to balance the game...but, they have to want to do this.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:54 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

Post Re: T19 Ships and Ship Choice in General
I don't understand why the Crawl Wyrm is 10bil, will take a look at it.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:02 pm

MasterTrader wrote:

Supposed to be a slave ship. The cost is very high to discourage actual noobs from using it.

The Crawl Wyrm bp also appears to have been removed from Mr. Wyrm and put into the dg drop table where T20 gear drops.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 pm
Team: Cybernetic Trading Co.
Main: TheShaftofDiscipline
Level: 3180

MasterTrader wrote:

They were 10b when they were introduced in the game because at the time they were introduced class balancing was a lot different and we only had RC18. t16 4 aug slot LF was a very very good choice for a seer combat slave or SD combat slave. The mini-marinus was introduced not long after iirc.

Crawl Wyrm also has an interesting super item that does a lincin-like attack and loads of damage.

RC20 has made a lot of the lower tech ships somewhat negligible in some terms and reduced the value of them. IE why would you build 10b crawl wyrms when you can pretty much make a Panther for more less the same build cost... Or use a Xmas Spirit, which is essentially free if you get them from events.

Just looked at it again, and Crawl Wyrms are essentially Faranji Stingers+++ which were end game seer ships. Might want to be careful on changing the build cost. This is a potentially VERY powerful ship. It also has 4.5 augs because of in-built mods.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:07 am
Main: Obliterator200
Level: 3493

prolex wrote:
Heya,

I feel as though these new end-game ships for F2P, although nice, seem a little bit too easy to produce and sell (thus are cheap and easy to obtain)--both for their quality, and relative to their counterparts.

The endgame ships f2ps had access to prior to this update were not too difficult nor expensive to obtain. The t19 bana ships took the most determination to obtain and they were <4 billion credits IIRC.

prolex wrote:
Heya,

If any, take the Testudo (~500m) as an example, it looks to be an unrivaled ship for F2P support classes and doesn't really even have a counterpart.

One problem with the Testudo is that its built-in overloader forgoes the option to run a HPS boosting overloader which is crucial for Shield Monks. So no Overloader Stable 6 for extra fast heals. Saying that its overpowered is unfair because it has been the only t19 support freighter available to freemiums until the Golden Man, which is a perfectly balanced freighter, was introduced.

prolex wrote:
Heya,

Surely the blueprints for these ships should be harder to obtain than paying ~50m at an AI base, for infinite uses and mass-produced at a rather modest build cost? E.g. The EFBS, undoubtedly a Fleet Commander end-game ship for F2P, is practically overshadowed by the much cheaper and hardly worse alternative (EF Overload Prototype), which I believe was meant for Gunners.

EFBS is arguably still better for Fleet Commanders.

reyjalrmm wrote:

They were 10b when they were introduced in the game because at the time they were introduced class balancing was a lot different and we only had RC18. t16 4 aug slot LF was a very very good choice for a seer combat slave or SD combat slave. The mini-marinus was introduced not long after iirc.

Crawl Wyrm also has an interesting super item that does a lincin-like attack and loads of damage.

RC20 has made a lot of the lower tech ships somewhat negligible in some terms and reduced the value of them. IE why would you build 10b crawl wyrms when you can pretty much make a Panther for more less the same build cost... Or use a Xmas Spirit, which is essentially free if you get them from events.

Just looked at it again, and Crawl Wyrms are essentially Faranji Stingers+++ which were end game seer ships. Might want to be careful on changing the build cost. This is a potentially VERY powerful ship. It also has 4.5 augs because of in-built mods.

I'd actually take a Faranji Stinger over a Crawl Wyrm if I was restricted to piloting 16.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 am
Main: Stars
Level: 1

just go ask yo mama for 10$

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:10 pm
Main: flo02
Level: 2631

star wrote:
just go ask yo mama for 10$

golden reply from someone ancient