Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Hire Wiki Editors at 1000 words per SP
In the last month the only major wiki contributors have been me, Farnight, and Assasinscred. The only person to attempt a full article revision was me. If we want the mass of steam player we all hope to get to stay, that is going to have to change. I have talked to quite a few people who are either interested in the wiki but unwilling to experiment or would be interested in the wiki if there was any incentive to contribute.

Fixing half the Perpetual Motion page took 12000 characters and the better part of an evening. A full article would be approximately 20,000 characters, while revising things like the drone page would be 60k+ and likely take a week or more of solid work. Expecting people to put that kind of work in for free is really very unreasonable.

The sentiment I have consistently heard from players is that it is the developers game and they should have to do the wiki. The sentiment I have consistently heard from devs is that the players should be responsible for the wiki. The result is that the wiki has become a no mans land into which only the brave, the bored, the crazy, or increasingly all three dare to venture. This is not a healthy direction for either the wiki or the game.

This is not a "Locked" proposal, i am open to any compensation ideas that seem reasonable, but we need more wiki editors and the consistent sentiment is people do not want to put the hours in for free. If Traders/SRX want to pony up 10,000 credits per letter, that might work to. What we are doing now is simply nor working.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

Post Re: Hire Wiki Editors at 1000 words per SP
why would Traders pay for you to do the wiki, they have their own wiki which is up to date.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
why would Traders pay for you to do the wiki, they have their own wiki which is up to date.

Where?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:36 am
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

sekret ofc, are you new?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Contributor
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Dark Steel
Level: 9138

He's messing with you.

Universe Map: http://www.starsonata.com/map/

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 am
Contributor
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

Jokes aside, this is a good reminder to myself that I should return to editing the wiki. I've left it dormant for a while and I do love editing the wiki. I do not however think it would be a good idea to pay people / incentivise them to edit the wiki. There are enough that would be willing to edit the wiki and already know how, they simply need a clear task as well as the data from a dev as required to supplement their work.

Getting the wiki fully up to date would be a difficult task, but let's be honest. Some of us (well, lots of us) have been playing SS for years. If we're up to spend that much time on this game I'm sure we can find some time for the wiki. I would love to discuss this on Discord with you the next time we are both available.

EDIT: Also, as a player I think I did a fine job at editing the wiki. I am personally of the mind that it is up to the players to edit the wiki, as you said the devs thought. I am however still a player like you. I will continue my work as an editor.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:53 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Love your recent posts, Rend. I'm not ready to write you a blank check at 10k creds per word, but I would be happy to shoot some compensation your way for specific wiki revision projects. Let me know a couple top priority ones for you and I'll decide whether I want to fund your work on them.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:34 am

anilv wrote:
Love your recent posts, Rend. I'm not ready to write you a blank check at 10k creds per word, but I would be happy to shoot some compensation your way for specific wiki revision projects. Let me know a couple top priority ones for you and I'll decide whether I want to fund your work on them.

While i am profoundly grateful both for your generosity and your appreciation of innuendo and biting criticism, i feel strongly that we need a standard policy towards wiki editing. I know of half a dozen people who have told me personally that they would edit if they could get anything for it, but they won't so they aren't.

This isn't about me personally wanting compensation(or not in that sence) i am happy to edit for free, my memory is horrible enough that i actually get something out of it, I would be writting little notes about where i found things anyway. This is about me personally wanting an extra set of hands, or maybe a dozen. Quoting myself from last night;

Rendghast - Today at 4:22 AM
sunny, do you want me to run through the list of NESSESARY edits we have right now? The Aug tables, the new ship revisions, the warp revision, the entire mod table, most of the drone table, the entire DG page, the rest of Perpetual Motion missions, a page for all the modules and their sub items, and that is just the stufff i know about as a f2p
if twisted/peri is changing half as fast as i have heard it is, double that list
we need more wiki editors

To that i have since remembers, the shotgun weapons hober added, the alterations to doomed/condemned gear, various other gear items with bonus stats changes, the entire missile section on the Base Items page, the entire missile section (which was never finished), the rest of the Super Items (both class and non), the fighters page, and the entirety of every page related to class skills! Personally, compensation is not my personal concern, what I need are 15 extra sets of hands, who keep complaining they need compensation.

However, to answer your question; My first priority right now is getting the Perpetual page finished, that page was a horror show and we are not going to have decent engi's until it is done. My next priority is the DG drops page, please help Sunny get Bobbo or Jey to see reason (i talked to one of them, the nixed me having the full tables, or even selectively edited tables). Bring it up in private or at the meeting or where ever you must, but i am FIRMLY convinced the "Inflation" problem we are seeing is price gouging stemming from the fact that no one knows where to item farm. That is easily fixable. After that i am going to go into the modules and sub module items, there are no pages at all for them and if you do not know they already exist it can be more then a little frustrating. Other priorities (in my view) include the Drones page which is a disaster and will need a full rewrite, and the augs page (needed sections are highlighted in orange). The class skills i am leaving to last, as they are pretty self explanatory in game.

But hands! I need more HANDS!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

lrellok wrote:

Sorry, can't resist:

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03 pm

anilv wrote:
lrellok wrote:

Sorry, can't resist:

In my wildest dreams

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 pm
Main: Hyg
Level: 2790

anilv wrote:
Let me know a couple top priority ones for you and I'll decide whether I want to fund your work on them.

Trading TBFD drones for wiki edits.

But more seriously, it feels like what is the biggest issue that prevents people from editing is the general layout of the Wiki. Editing something such as the Augmenters page or the Ships page is just daunting, with it being an unwieldy list of context-less numbers once you've scrolled past the headers. I've seen a lot of wrong/missing things on those lists but just can't be bothered to fix it myself yet for that reason.
I have a few ideas on how to make that easier so it's less of a pain for people to edit, but the same issue is present on a lot of pages.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 am