Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Re: to jeff; on code devs, revenue, and expectations.
Max235 wrote:
We have 500 players. 500 f2p *and* p2p combined. There are about 400 p2p accounts active, with about 150 total p2p members.

And i repeat, where is this idea that a steam release is going to get us next to no players coming from? Cause the numbers you have just listed will be absorbed by DSF alone.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 am
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: topbuzzz
Level: 8015

sabre198 wrote:
I cant see how any of those 3 choices arrive at your intended destination, please elaborate.

...? You cannot see how having full time paid developers solves the problem of people randomly dropping projects because they are volunteers and thus only have to work on what they feel like? How does that no logically follow? Trust me, i hate certain runs i have to do at work, but i have to do them anyway because otherwise i am no longer employed.

no I mean you dont say how you reach full paid developers with no funding?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

FWIW, I would say the current dev team has a pretty good culture of follow-through. We don't have an epidemic of people "randomly dropping projects" because they "only have to work on what they feel like." I'd refer you to any member of the Press Corps for additional comment on our culture.

In the case of the mod rework, my opinion is that this was more of an unfortunate circumstance. The whole team put a lot of effort in and we put some good content together, but the code requirements piled up even though we tried to keep them to a minimum. That's never a great idea for us since code dev time is scarce.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am

sabre198 wrote:
no I mean you dont say how you reach full paid developers with no funding?

Because i was assuming the dev team was working with realistic steam numbers, rather then solipsistic myopia. My drive for the last year with regards to my suggestions has been to get the game on a footing to retain a 2K+ steam release, roll that capital into full time code staff, and start growing the game. And before enk calls "Secret agenda!" i have been quite open about this. Gradiating the 16 to 20 content (we loose so many people to sticker shock at 20), Expanding EF layer. Ensuring viable income for a large group of players, expanding wild space, all are necessary to get the kind of capital we need to get full time paid devs and stabalise star sonatas player losses.

anilv wrote:
FWIW, I would say the current dev team has a pretty good culture of follow-through. We don't have an epidemic of people "randomly dropping projects" because they "only have to work on what they feel like." I'd refer you to any member of the Press Corps for additional comment on our culture.

The tech 20 ship missions where never done, equipment was never made the base BP equip skill, do i need to go write a list of all the suggestions that have been agreed o and not completed? Yes, you are busy, we are all busy, which is why i am making this thread, we need someone who is not busy coding the game. And your press corps just declared you to be gibbering incompetents that are deliberately slow walking the game to death. So i think i will ignore them fr the time being.

anilv wrote:
In the case of the mod rework, my opinion is that this was more of an unfortunate circumstance. The whole team put a lot of effort in and we put some good content together, but the code requirements piled up even though we tried to keep them to a minimum. That's never a great idea for us since code dev time is scarce.

WHich is why we need a 2k steam release to get full time code devs, so coder time IS NOT scarce. All you are doing right now is acceding my point enk.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

lrellok wrote:
My drive for the last year with regards to my suggestions has been to get the game on a footing to retain a 2K+ steam release,

retain a 2k+ base , whats your plan for this using the volunteer devs?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
lrellok wrote:
My drive for the last year with regards to my suggestions has been to get the game on a footing to retain a 2K+ steam release,

retain a 2k+ base , whats your plan for this using the volunteer devs?

2500 players would enable us to retain 2, possibly the full time code devs. The Volunteer content devs would produce statistics (IE mission texts, ship and weapons stats, ect.) while the full time paid devs would make the required changes to the games code to implement them. THis is functionally the same system we are using right now, just with bobbo/jey/ryan getting full time jobs working on SS, or failing that (i would prefer they stay) some other team working full time coding and the vilunteers producing content.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm

no you said the paid devs would come in as a result of the funding from the 2k, ie after. So you are happy with the volunteer devs getting us up to the 2k steam players first, right?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
no you said the paid devs would come in as a result of the funding from the 2k, ie after. So you are happy with the volunteer devs getting us up to the 2k steam players first, right?

If we have no other options, but i am still advocating we make the necessary changes to accommodate a 2k+ steam release; Expand EF layer, get missions for the t20 entry ships, expand WS, make BPs based on equipment skill, Dem BP at t16-18, ect. And the idea of paid full time should certainly be floated to Ryan, Jey, and Bobbo before hand.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 pm
Team: Suns of Hades
Main: urzaserra2
Level: 4871

The t20 ship mission are a very RECENT small project, which IS being worked on and although probably wont be ready for this upcoming update, will probably be ready for the one after that. Likely that the bp change to use equipment will be happening relatively soon. Also keep in mind that what the players perspective is, is going to be way behind what is live, in this case the dev team is about 1.5 months ahead if not more.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 pm

urzaserra256 wrote:
The t20 ship mission are a very RECENT small project, which IS being worked on and although probably wont be ready for this upcoming update, will probably be ready for the one after that. Likely that the bp change to use equipment will be happening relatively soon. Also keep in mind that what the players perspective is, is going to be way behind what is live, in this case the dev team is about 1.5 months ahead if not more.

you have my profound and sincere thanks sir! Can you please tell me where the heck maxa is getting his 150 person steam release conception from?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Dont know where that 150 number is coming from, i dont think there has been any sub info publicly released in a while.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 pm

lrellok wrote:
sabre198 wrote:

If we have no other options, but i am still advocating we make the necessary changes to accommodate a 2k+ steam release; Expand EF layer, get missions for the t20 entry ships, expand WS, make BPs based on equipment skill, Dem BP at t16-18, ect. And the idea of paid full time should certainly be floated to Ryan, Jey, and Bobbo before hand.

ok so how long do you estimate volunteer devs will take to complete that shopping list before we goto steam to get the 2k players? seems like it would add another crazy wait, are you sure those features would make a significant enough difference in the starting player base of steam launch to wait for them? or would it be better to just suck it up, get in there start generating some revenue for something, anything..

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

sabre198 wrote:
ok so how long do you estimate volunteer devs will take to complete that shopping list before we goto steam to get the 2k players?

None, urza just said the two requiering code support are almost finished.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm

I may of been mistaken on the equipment instead of station managemtn for bps, but the t20 missions do not need code changes.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 pm

so let me get this right, your plan, is basically what they are doing?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm
Profile WWW