Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

Post Make a Flash Game "Star Sonata; Nexus Quest"
Ok, Steam is not over a year behind schedule, and we are running seriously short of players here. It is time for some out side the box thinking.

Now i have been told that a significant portion of the dev team can code, they just are not allowed anywhere near the code because security, which is fine. SO, since we already have the image files, it should be a simple matter to work the more basic mechanics into a flash game! The game would comprise nexus area only, thus skipping the requirements for things like fighters, drones and missiles.

Pros;
1) Gets us a quick hit of players, which we badly need. Even the low end flash sites have a few hundred members, and places like armored games and Kongrate can get thousands of people viewing a game. We need better advertising right now, and this is a good way to do that.

2) Is easy to set up. Flash sites have far fewer requirements then steam does, so we would not be spending 2,3,5 years waiting for requirements to be met, we can simply do the game, throw it up, and get people joining.

3) It will keep certain nerf happy developers busy for a short time. I have a quiet theory that the reason we are getting all of these nerfs is that the developers want to do something, but since steam is not ready yet, everyone is waiting to see how that goes. Allowing them to build a Flash version of Nexus will keep them busy.

Cons

1) All of this assumes that there are viable coders on the dev team who are not currently coding. However, if this is not the case, i am certain there are coders among the player base. If jeff is willing to loose the flash income, he could make a deal with a player who wants game dev exposure to make the flash game, keep the flash profits, and jeff benefits from the free advertising. Even the con is a pro!

It all comes down to we need more players. Badly. Now.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 pm
Team: The Unforeseen Colonies
Main: Masterful
Level: 6877

Post Re: Make a FLash Game "Star Sonata; Nexus Quest"
Alternatively we could see financial investment in the game from Jeff for advertising & paid developers.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 am

Masterful wrote:
Alternatively we could see financial investment in the game from Jeff for advertising & paid developers.

Assuming a current player base of 500 players paying $100 a year, that gives jeff an operating budget of $50,000. Standard business model says not to spend more then half your revenue (if that) on payroll, so that comes to $25,000. Starting Salary for a Game developer is $60k a year. We would need to triple our player base to afford a single paid dev, and since we have three volunteer code devs right now, thats a 10x increase before hiring who we already have is a meaningful choice.

People really are not grasping the scale of the changes SS2 needs before paid devs will be a viable option. They can happen, but it is going to take alot of work on things other then the core game.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 pm

I don't think you understand the concept of investment.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:28 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Masterful wrote:

At present, there is no seed money available for this type of investment.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm

anilv wrote:
Masterful wrote:

At present, there is no seed money available for this type of investment.

What?

Seed funding is for startups and early stage businesses. If Star Sonata is still at a point where you think it needs seed money it's even more screwed than I thought.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm
over 9000!

Where exactly do you think the money would come from? Do you personally wish to make a financial investment into Star Sonata? If so, drop Jeff a line and see if he's interested in working out some terms. If Jeff had money that he was willing and able to invest into the game, he would already have done so without your prompting.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 pm

The fact that Star Sonata can't find anyone to invest in it says a lot about the game. If Jeff is confident that investing in Star Sonata would be good for the game then he can do what many entrepreneurs and businesses do when they want to grow - take out a loan. I've done it with some of my own projects - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you need to spend money to make money. It's how the world works.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm
over 9000!

No one is confident that investing in Star Sonata would make a difference. Internet advertising is a mug's game these days. You pay a ton and it's hard to tell if it even makes a difference. Of course, we could try to invest in the assets instead--a new UI, better graphics, all that. This would definitely improve the game, but with no guarantee that that improvement would lead to new players. Perhaps you've forgotten that Jeff's already invested tons in this game--he bought out the other two founders many years ago.

It seems like what you are saying boils down to, "put your money where your mouth is." But investment isn't about making a stand for what you believe in; it's about putting money where you think the chances are good it'll grow. As it stands, Star Sonata does not have great chances. We need new players and we don't have a way to get them, even if we had money to throw at the problem. That doesn't mean we are giving up on the game. Volunteers like myself are still putting our hours in to make it as good as it can be. Players like yourself are still signing in and visiting the forums. Star Sonata is worth it. As long as we have prospective ways of gaining new subs, we will continue to improve the game and angle for those.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 pm

anilv wrote:
As long as we have prospective ways of gaining new subs, we will continue to improve the game and angle for those.

Well at least i am getting a response here.

The point of this suggestion is that it requires no capital to do, only sweat equity is required. We already own the graphics needed, we simply need to find a dev who can code a browser version of nexus and ask them to please do so. It will even be financially beneficial to them if they retain control of the browser version and we get the advertising.

Anilv, is there any way this can be floated at the nex dev meeting please?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm
over 9000!

Sorry, no existing devs are available for a project of that scale.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 pm

anilv wrote:
Sorry, no existing devs are available for a project of that scale.

I have asked around and been told Browser games are usually quite easy to make. ALso, the idea included an option that would not require any existing dev to do anything, IE allow non dev applicants access to the nexus graphics and let them write it themselves.

We need players desperately here anilv.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am
over 9000!

I highly doubt that Jeff would consider it worthwhile to license the rights to Star Sonata in this way.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 am

anilv wrote:
I highly doubt that Jeff would consider it worthwhile to license the rights to Star Sonata in this way.

ok, but can you ask?

Also, i am curios, what "Prospective ways of gaining new subs" do you see that do not involve advertising, getting the game onto alternative platforms, or releasing on steam?

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

lrellok wrote:
Assuming a current player base of 500 players

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 pm