How would you rather the Class Skills were structured?
Fixed order like now (but reordered) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Choosable 93%  93%  [ 26 ]
Other (please specify in comments) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

Team: Eminence Front
Main: Lightning Bolt
Level: 11163

Post Class Skills
So over the past week I've been talking to players from across the game to try and come up with a 'better' order for our Class Skills.

HOWEVER, the overwhelming response I've gotten each time is "why can't I just choose them myself?".

So I thought I'd throw it out here on the forums, what are your thoughts? How should the class skills be reordered?

Thanks for your input guys :)

EDIT: Figured I'd throw this in here summarising what people have generally stated the issues as in my conversations with them, any solutions that work within the current 'tree' system would be appreciated:

"There are a couple of different issues with a rigid system that would need to be solved. I think the main issue is that each skill is aimed at a different aspect of the class, and for some classes (Gunner and FC to name two) these skills have a massive impact on gameplay (Missile Mastery, Rad X, Fighters) and so you end up shoehorned into a certain style of gameplay for that class (whereas previously you had the freedom to spec as you choose)

Another issue is previously some skills were purposefully not taken; dogfighting for SDs (-range) and impervious armour for zerks (-speed) were the two main ones, you don't have a choice in this now

And then there's the more obvious issue of some of the skills just giving pretty crappy bonuses (like the initial seer skill that gives -vis and +crit resists)

Some of those issues can be gotten around by changing skills around or front loading, but the 'core' issue people have is that these skills tend to influence how you play the class, and with a rigid skill tree your customisation is heavily crimped for early game characters"

Kanga

Last edited by Remand on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: CashMeOutside
Level: 4558

Post Re: Class Skills
Make starsonata GREAT again!

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am
Main: goofy
Level: 4340

not everyone wants to have the skills in the order they are offered , as people do play the classes differently .
for the fc u are forced to use fighters 1st as a skill ? what about the fc that wants rad x 1st ? , as example , fleet comander to me isn't fighter use . it is a fleet of actual ships .. thus bots +| wild bots is more of a fleet than bots + fighters ?

Last edited by goofy on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: Hober Mallow
Level: 4886

This topic belongs in the Suggestions forum. Otherwise, I agree that they should be choosable.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:59 am

MasterTrader wrote:
This topic belongs in the Suggestions forum. Otherwise, I agree.

Aye I did consider putting there, however it wasn't a suggestion I was personally making, but rather gathering public feedback from the playerbase. Feel free to move it needed.

Kanga

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

It's not on the table to make the class skills obtainable in any order you want, but we are more than willing to hear requests for specific reorderings, in case the current order for some of the classes is bad for progression.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:07 am
Main: Zero Punctuation
Level: 3324

I feel like being able to choose your skills like you were able to before this change is best.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 am
Team: Eminence Back
Main: reaper pride
Level: 5779

anilv wrote:
It's not on the table to make the class skills obtainable in any order you want, but we are more than willing to hear requests for specific reorderings, in case the current order for some of the classes is bad for progression.

This is how the skills worked before. Why is it out of the picture now?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 am
Main: Tobi Wan Kenobi
Level: 3598

I find it hard for gunners since the missiles skill comes last on the skill tree. That should be the first but I agree. Go back to the way it was and let us choose. This is a MMO sandbox right?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

anilv wrote:

I know that's the current stance, that's why I've spent the week talking to players and trying to find out an overall order that they prefer.

However every single player has turned around and requested to be able to choose the order themselves on a character by character basis.

Kanga

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 am
Team: Silver Guardians
Main: R.S.S. Wasp
Level: 4683

I think that once a player has got one class down, they can spend 400 skill points per skill branching into other classes. Say for example yo zerker wants to go into speed demon cause he cry himself to sleep every night, he can very slowly chunk away at that nagging deficiency and eventually super skill himself up. A FC could go engi too, etc. I dunno. :D

https://sect.news/

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am
Profile WWW
over 9000!

It's just not on the table. Some devs have tried to gather support for this but Jeff isn't interested. We spent untold dev resources on the current class system and do not consider it's worth additional investment at this time to tear it up.

On the other hand, I am perfectly willing to discuss front-loading certain bonuses in certain class- and subskills if it's considered beneficial to progression. We have full flexibility in that way.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 pm
Contributor
Team: Star Revolution X
Main: SunDog60
Level: 6541

I like this idea a lot and I am all for more choices in a sandbox. This could lead to more creative setups early on working in conjunction with class skills that would currently be unobtainable at said early level.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm
Team: Deep Space Federation
Main: Rendghast
Level: 3504

I would very much like to see the bonuses from "Impervios Armor" swapped with the combined bonuses from "Eye for an Eye" and "Berserkeing Berserker". I have never understood why zerkers should be the primary tank, nor why i would want to take a 30% speed nerf for something i am not interested in doing in the first place. If people WANT to do tank, that is awesome, i am happy for them, but ti really should be optional, not mandatory.

Also, can we PLEASE get the ship limitation removed from Gunner Class 2 &3?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm
over 9000!

lrellok wrote:
I would very much like to see the bonuses from "Impervios Armor" swapped with the combined bonuses from "Eye for an Eye" and "Berserkeing Berserker". I have never understood why zerkers should be the primary tank, nor why i would want to take a 30% speed nerf for something i am not interested in doing in the first place. If people WANT to do tank, that is awesome, i am happy for them, but ti really should be optional, not mandatory.

Also, can we PLEASE get the ship limitation removed from Gunner Class 2 &3?

Which class do you think is supposed to be the primary tank?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm