Team: Axis Industries
Main: Benuto
Level: 5870

Post Solutions to ability (or, inability) to loot
Short and sweet. Pick one, put your number in your post.

1. Inventory Slots, just like World of Warcraft.
You get 20 inventory slots in a separate tab on your inventory window. The biggest items you scoop are automatically put in there first. You can buy more slots at 10 or 20 per 10$. You are still affected by the items' weight when they're in the inventory slots.

Also known as Cargo Slots.

2. Items are at most 10 size when scooped.
Scooped items will not exceed 10 size when scooped. When docked or transferred, scooped items become their actual size again. Their weight does not change.

3. Items scooped go into a "Storage" inventory.
This is not unlike the storage you have at an AI base. You cannot add or remove items from this inventory until docked. Commods still decay. The size of this storage is based on your level. At level 1, you have 1 storage hull. At level 5000, you have 5000 storage hull. Items in the storage still have weight and that still affects you.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Post Re: Solutions to ability (or, inability) to loot
Trakel wrote:
2. Items are at most 10 size when scooped.
Scooped items will not exceed 10 size when scooped. When docked or transferred, scooped items become their actual size again. Their weight does not change.

This was actually approved by Jeff a couple weeks ago and will be put into the game soon.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 pm
Team: Terran Empire
Main: Marcus Smythe
Level: 2671

3, for the following reasons:

1.) X Loot slots will quickly be filled with small-but-semi-valuable augmenters, etc.

2.) "Max Size 10" loot would be better than the current paradigm - but one will still fill any fighting ship (especially Seer, lesser degree the other three) in the first arm of a single DG. Meanwhile, some classes having holds of 5000 or more free space will never notice or care about a change in loot size - they can scoop every DG they enter from an 8 hour play session.

3.) Having 'X' free space on a ship (which can be used to carry, but not equip, items), where X is equal to player level, would serve to incentivize leveling (howsoever slightly), and allow any class to scoop a significant amount. While it will not eclipse the internal space advantage currently enjoyed by certain classes, it would go a way to redressing it. This also has the knock-on effect of making the fighting classes somewhat more able to fight, as they can afford to fill their restricted hull space with combat gear, rather than needing to waste 20% or more of their available volume to get what other classes get for just showing up.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: JechtZ
Level: 6912

2 or 3 cause it'd be able to be expanded to loot claim system outside of who scoops first. I like two cause if it has a drop tag to make pirating viable outside of sniping ICs.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:46 pm
over 9000!

As I've said, #2 will actually be put into the game soon. :D

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am

T2 helps everyone in theory, but hugely advantages the already advantaged, while boosting everyone else a little, and doing the least for those in the worst position.

Which is pretty much Star Sonata, now that I think about it.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am

*Deleted Duplicate*

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: JechtZ
Level: 6912

marcussmythe wrote:
T2 helps everyone in theory, but hugely advantages the already advantaged, while boosting everyone else a little, and doing the least for those in the worst position.

Which is pretty much Star Sonata, now that I think about it.

That's a good point. I didn't think of that.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:49 pm
over 9000!
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

I have a Voulge engineer. It has 18,000 total space with possibility of boosting that to 20,000. It currently uses 6,000 of that space for drones and equipment, and possibly up to 10,000 space if I truly go all in with everything. I have around 10,000 hull for loot at any given time. On average the items I pull up from say, Olympus, are 100-200 size each. That gives me room to carry 50-100 items safely in my ship, ignoring scoop slaves.

I have a Subhatta berserker. At most it has around 3000 total space and generally uses 2500 of it.

T2 could in theory allow that berserker to carry 50 items that are at least 10 size. It could also in theory allow the Engineer to carry 1,000 items that are at least 10 size. Assuming that I carry items on average 100-200 size each, the Voulge has a theoretical carrying limit of 100,000-200,000, while the berserker has a theoretical carrying limit of 5000-10,000. The engineer can move at a reasonable pace and agility even under that huge load. The berserker, at half load, will not because it does not get access to massive powerful engines nor does it have a class skill that reduces its weight by a massive amount.

In theory a Singularity Sphere can carry 2.5 *billion* space worth of items since as enkelin said you have to scoop it. Just chuck the items off a base and vacuum scoop it up. Does not work with most commodities.

T3 allows both the Engineer and the Berserker to in theory carry 10,000 space worth of items, provided both are level 10,000 each. No one has a limit above the maximum level and it does not actually change the amount of free space on the current super heavy lifters.

Food for thought.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am
over 9000!

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
In theory a Singularity Sphere can carry 2.5 *billion* space worth of items since as enkelin said you have to scoop it. Just chuck the items off a base and vacuum scoop it up. Does not work with most commodities.

Nope. Cargo tag would only apply to items generated as loot drops. Players would have no means of applying the cargo tag to existing items.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 am
over 9000!

anilv wrote:
Battlecruiser23 wrote:

Nope. Cargo tag would only apply to items generated as loot drops. Players would have no means of applying the cargo tag to existing items.

Cool. This is the first time I've heard this.

It still doesn't change the fact I'll be able to pack up 10 Oly runs into a single ship and still move while a Gunner packs one oly boss and stops working.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:24 am
over 9000!

Battlecruiser23 wrote:
It still doesn't change the fact I'll be able to pack up 10 Oly runs into a single ship and still move while a Gunner packs one oly boss and stops working.

That's true, but I don't think we lose much by allowing certain classes to loot *way* more than necessary, as long as every class can loot sufficiently.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm
Team: Eminence Front
Main: Chemo
Level: 3621

I want both #2 and #3.

Control the combat abilities of users by the space used for weapons and gear, but give everyone equal cargo opportunities.

I shouldn't be penalized in hauling capacity for having a Recon Focus instead of a Support Focus character. Currently, I have about 75 free space on my seer, and that's just because I have a smaller weapon equipped.

Assuming 10 sized items, I still wouldn't even be able to do Knight and Prince without a scoop slave or using capacity tweaks.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
over 9000!

It's okay Java. We'll just have Engineer bases have 10x as much damage, shields, and range as everyone else's bases. Engineer hauling ships will have 10x as much capacity. Engineer Perma Drones will be 20x as good as everyone else.

If you play Speed Demon and want to build bases, you can carry 1 piece of base gear / base aug /factory per trip instead of the whole base's worth of gear and augs in the same ship like Engineer. That's balanced, right? That's fair, huh? That's okay with everyone not Engineer, no?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:30 am