Team: Traders League
Main: Lazerus
Level: 2345

Post Wild Space P2P'ing
Wild Space Situation lately

It seems to me that WS is quite simply way too small! It would appear that it needs to be perhaps as much as 4 times the size, be that "Cluster" or "Spiral", to accommodate the lower level enthusiastic p2p'ers that would like a little slice of territory for their new (or old!) little teams!

Not just that but the Mites (per recent changes) are way too tough! Unless your able to drop packed full ada t20's, you cant even defeat the mites themselves, let alone the mounds! Forget it if all your new-be team is doing is laying an adonis hq and maybe you have a 1k'er who can put down a nice andaman "Battle Base", impossible - trust me, I tried some 8 months or more ago hehe.

I agree that mites should be a challange, but it should be appropriate to the DF (blue, red, purple difficulty mites and armed-mounds!), like it kinda used to be, and on that note; mounds should grow in tech gradually, starting out as arc, then apollo, then ares, then adonis and so on, to the point where such progressions perhaps take a few days, not hours!

If you take all this into consideration, you might have a uni where all the old little teams and lower level players, including the new enthusiasticly arriving players, have a real opportunity to sub. and get into the thick of SS'ing, whithout it being a frustrating defeatest impossibility!

I guess the reality for me, and Im sure many others lately, is that I'm happy enough F2P'ing down in EF... Cant complain really.... That sorta thing. But there is an awefull lot of potential WS'ers that couldnt possibly battle the big teams for a little slice/share of team-space, and I think that's a little sad if you want SS to keep up with what interest remains for it!

:-]

Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 am
Main: NeonSword
Level: 3197

Post Re: Wild Space P2P'ing
just join a big team or an alt of a big team.

Tue May 15, 2018 12:12 pm
Team: Insectoids
Main: PreyingMantis
Level: 813

I agree Lazerus, things could be significantly larger up there, and without a doubt, the mites are impossible.

Being level 300+ (my Main), I'd love to re-sub, get up there, find a few systems to own, lay a pack of adonis'es and enjoy my little team participating in the full gambit!

The reality is that there simply isnt the available systems for me to look through, find, and aquire; thus no way in hell I could tackle the great teams for a spot, nor hold.

If there was a larger cluster with more red and blue systems to enjoy, it would be ok, but even still, the way the mites are, I doubt my t9's, several of them, could possibly defend against the super-duper mites! They (the mites themselves) would smash my enthusiasm, and destroy my hopes, not to mention the aspirations of my other team-members!

So yeah, the idea of more realistically defined mites and mounds per warp/df would be highly appropriate!

I see really no point in there being only enough WS territory for the big teams to battle it out for a share.... without actual opportunity for other players and teams to setup, there's no point for them to want to subscribe, and its as simple as that.

I really hope the Admin's see light in your reasoning Lazerus, perhaps then there might be more pie for us all to have a fair, fun slice!

Cheers!

Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am
over 9000!
Team: Axis Industries
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

While I don't understand how there could be more than one person who uses Lazerus' typing style of a person vomiting rainbows...

The reason why Wild Space is so full is because nothing delayed people, nothing resisted people, and no one contested owned galaxies. It doesn't take any time at all to own a claimed galaxy and bases are so strong you can only PvB minor bases. Everything above needs BvB of some caliber.

The whole Wild Space was claimed in 4-5 hours, and fortified to stop PvB in an extra hour worth of time.

There are teams that have been trying to give away galaxies they can't use, but no one has jumped their offers.

Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Admins kinda dropped the ball this uni with the base buff, ignored their players, and now there's consequences. Wild Space is a bit fucked up now.

Revert base buff or add more wildspace.

Fri May 18, 2018 2:33 pm
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

I wonder if Laz thinks we don’t know he’s replying to his own post, or does he genuinely have multiple personalities that aren’t aware of each other.

Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 am
over 9000!
Main: Churchill
Level: 5620

Also, only a select few people know how to conduct BvB, and everyone has a generic "You shoot me once, we're at war for the next 10 years." vibe.

Sun May 20, 2018 3:13 pm
Team: Traders League
Main: Redgy
Level: 246

iwnh01 wrote:
I wonder if Laz thinks we don’t know he’s replying to his own post, or does he genuinely have multiple personalities that aren’t aware of each other.

Nothing to wonder about there iwnh01, using characteristic-indifference could be considered a talent, however I just enjoy exercising perspective, which can only be done with comparison!

Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 am
Team: iwnh
Main: iwnh015
Level: 1506

trenton wrote:
iwnh01 wrote:

Nothing to wonder about there iwnh01, using characteristic-indifference could be considered a talent, however I just enjoy exercising perspective, which can only be done with comparison!

I’ll take that as a “Yes”.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 am
Team: Aidelon
Main: JechtZ
Level: 6912

More wild space - let new teams grown over the span of uni instead right at start.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:05 pm
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Just spitballing here, but what if we slowly added gals to Wild Space over the month of the uni? Not sure how easy it'd be with current code, but just throwing it out there to see if there's interest.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Main: Benuto
Level: 5870

From what I saw over the past 4-7 universes:

1. Teams rarely go outside their border galaxies. Once they drop them, they don't go past unless literally no one else settles out there. Those galaxies will be expendable if a team goes beyond their border gals.

2. Teams are easily able to form a coherent border shape unless they're a very small team or a team hugging the edge of the map.

3. Nothing threatens interior galaxies and if anything were to truly threaten interior galaxies, current defense standards will shut it down. You'll need a threat big enough to threaten a border galaxy to make putting more than 2-3 kits in an interior galaxy not plausible anymore for interior defense.

Which, is why I came up with what I came up with.

1. Roughly half of all WS galaxies are initially owned by some form of AI team. They don't have to expand or counter-BVB. They just have to exist and have enough defenses to warrant BVB. They must be randomly spread across WS and have a greater concentration towards the center. From DF...200 onward, you would not be able to 1 ada kit BVB the AI teams.

2. Termites strike at random galaxies and are much more dangerous due to code changes so that the Termite Drone is a Termite Base, and Termite Ships are not Termite Bases, but Termite Ships (players don't run around with 5m dps setups on a zerk so why should termites). The goal is to mimic a player BVB. Defending your team from termites should develop BVB experience.

3. Teams somehow can only expand from the HQ. The HQ builds this "Ownership Station" which is much tankier than a typical base (an Ada kit, for example) and provides the ownership mechanic to a galaxy. Without it, you can't own the galaxy. It is deployed in a manner similar to BVB. You can't build one at your HQ and own a galaxy 10 jumps away. The construction location has to be adjacent, and owned, first.

You do these things and the big 108 galaxy Zephyr empire will reduce itself to less than 50 galaxies overnight. Make AI defenses big enough and teams going for the center are already expending 25 kit BVBs *to own their claimed galaxies*. The termites will ensure current interiors will look like current borders.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 am
over 9000!
Main: enkelin
Level: 5600

Trakel wrote:
From what I saw over the past 4-7 universes:

1. Teams rarely go outside their border galaxies. Once they drop them, they don't go past unless literally no one else settles out there. Those galaxies will be expendable if a team goes beyond their border gals.

2. Teams are easily able to form a coherent border shape unless they're a very small team or a team hugging the edge of the map.

3. Nothing threatens interior galaxies and if anything were to truly threaten interior galaxies, current defense standards will shut it down. You'll need a threat big enough to threaten a border galaxy to make putting more than 2-3 kits in an interior galaxy not plausible anymore for interior defense.

Which, is why I came up with what I came up with.

1. Roughly half of all WS galaxies are initially owned by some form of AI team. They don't have to expand or counter-BVB. They just have to exist and have enough defenses to warrant BVB. They must be randomly spread across WS and have a greater concentration towards the center. From DF...200 onward, you would not be able to 1 ada kit BVB the AI teams.

2. Termites strike at random galaxies and are much more dangerous due to code changes so that the Termite Drone is a Termite Base, and Termite Ships are not Termite Bases, but Termite Ships (players don't run around with 5m dps setups on a zerk so why should termites). The goal is to mimic a player BVB. Defending your team from termites should develop BVB experience.

3. Teams somehow can only expand from the HQ. The HQ builds this "Ownership Station" which is much tankier than a typical base (an Ada kit, for example) and provides the ownership mechanic to a galaxy. Without it, you can't own the galaxy. It is deployed in a manner similar to BVB. You can't build one at your HQ and own a galaxy 10 jumps away. The construction location has to be adjacent, and owned, first.

You do these things and the big 108 galaxy Zephyr empire will reduce itself to less than 50 galaxies overnight. Make AI defenses big enough and teams going for the center are already expending 25 kit BVBs *to own their claimed galaxies*. The termites will ensure current interiors will look like current borders.

We are actually planning some of these things already, or variants thereof. Hit me up on Discord if you want to discuss further.

Hi, I'm Anil, a long-time player turned developer. I am Star Sonata's lead content developer, which means that I run weekly dev meetings and make sure that any proposed changes to the game receive proper review before going live.

http://www.starsonata.com/features

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 pm
Team: Salt and Pepper
Main: Freakachu
Level: 4759

I'll say this as many times as I have to. No single team should be able to control 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire universe (zephyr).

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 pm
Team: Commonwealth
Main: Fyuryus
Level: 3451

Nobody used to control that much team space until admins (foolishly) beefed bases. People using 10 Ada Kit gals now use 4 ada kit gals and own 2x as many galaxies.

Doesn't help there's no PvP/PvE to mix things up in wildspace. Nobody wants to war.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 pm